Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger Admin Not able to start

Expert Contributor

I have recently installed Ranger in my cluster and I am not able to start All database connection is OK. Below is the error. It's something about the time zone. I am using MySql, I am also attaching screen shot of main configuration. 

Capture.JPG

stderr: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 236, in 
    RangerAdmin().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 353, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 97, in start
    self.configure(env, upgrade_type=upgrade_type, setup_db=params.stack_supports_ranger_setup_db_on_start)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/ranger_admin.py", line 132, in configure
    setup_ranger_xml.setup_ranger_db()
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/stacks/HDP/3.0/services/RANGER/package/scripts/setup_ranger_xml.py", line 267, in setup_ranger_db
    user=params.unix_user,
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/base.py", line 166, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 263, in action_run
    returns=self.resource.returns)
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 72, in inner
    result = function(command, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 102, in checked_call
    tries=tries, try_sleep=try_sleep, timeout_kill_strategy=timeout_kill_strategy, returns=returns)
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 150, in _call_wrapper
    result = _call(command, **kwargs_copy)
  File "/usr/lib/ambari-agent/lib/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 314, in _call
    raise ExecutionFailed(err_msg, code, out, err)
resource_management.core.exceptions.ExecutionFailed: Execution of 'ambari-python-wrap /usr/hdp/current/ranger-admin/dba_script.py -q' returned 1. 2020-03-19 16:56:38,687  [I] Running DBA setup script. QuiteMode:True
2020-03-19 16:56:38,687  [I] Using Java:/usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_112/bin/java
2020-03-19 16:56:38,687  [I] DB FLAVOR:MYSQL
2020-03-19 16:56:38,687  [I] DB Host:namenode.asotc.com
2020-03-19 16:56:38,688  [I] ---------- Verifying DB root password ---------- 
2020-03-19 16:56:38,688  [I] DBA root user password validated
2020-03-19 16:56:38,688  [I] ---------- Verifying Ranger Admin db user password ---------- 
2020-03-19 16:56:38,688  [I] admin user password validated
2020-03-19 16:56:38,689  [I] ---------- Creating Ranger Admin db user ---------- 
2020-03-19 16:56:38,689  [JISQL] /usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_112/bin/java  -cp /usr/hdp/current/ranger-admin/ews/lib/mysql-connector-java.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-admin/jisql/lib/* org.apache.util.sql.Jisql -driver mysqlconj -cstring jdbc:mysql://namenode.asotc.com/mysql -u root -p '********' -noheader -trim -c \; -query "SELECT version();"
Loading class `com.mysql.jdbc.Driver'. This is deprecated. The new driver class is `com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver'. The driver is automatically registered via the SPI and manual loading of the driver class is generally unnecessary.
SQLException : SQL state: 01S00 java.sql.SQLException: The server time zone value 'EDT' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support. ErrorCode: 0
2020-03-19 16:56:39,340  [E] Can't establish db connection.. Exiting..

8 REPLIES 8

Guru

Hi @prakashpunj,

My research found this from other co-worker's notes:

The error message seems related with mysql timezone and you can try to setup it using this doc:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/930900/how-do-i-set-the-time-zone-of-mysql

Could you please give it a try and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Li

Li Wang, Technical Solution Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Expert Contributor

select now command produce right result. Also I am putting below in the connection string which should address the issue

?serverTimezone=UTC 

MariaDB [(none)]> select now();
+---------------------+
| now()               |
+---------------------+
| 2020-03-19 19:21:24 |
+---------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Guru

Hi @prakashpunj ,

Can you please try to set in my.cnf with 

default-time-zone='-08:00'

and see if that helps?

Thanks!

Li

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Expert Contributor

No help still not able to start ranger:

2020-03-19 20:20:10,288  [JISQL] /usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_112/bin/java  -cp /usr/hdp/current/ranger-admin/ews/lib/mysql-connector-java.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-admin/jisql/lib/* org.apache.util.sql.Jisql -driver mysqlconj -cstring jdbc:mysql://namenode.asotc.com/mysql -u root -p '********' -noheader -trim -c \; -query "SELECT version();"
Loading class `com.mysql.jdbc.Driver'. This is deprecated. The new driver class is `com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver'. The driver is automatically registered via the SPI and manual loading of the driver class is generally unnecessary.
SQLException : SQL state: 01S00 java.sql.SQLException: The server time zone value 'EDT' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support. ErrorCode: 0
2020-03-19 20:20:11,050  [E] Can't establish db connection.. Exiting..

Guru

Hi @prakashpunj ,

Sorry there maybe a miscalculation. Please try this:

1. Update /etc/my.cnf file to match the timezone for EDT and UTC

default_time_zone='+04:00'

2. Change the connection string to

jdbc:mysql://xxxx:3306/ranger?serverTimezone=UTC

Please give this a try and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Li

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Expert Contributor
Tried that, getting the same error message.

Thanks

Guru

Hi @prakashpunj ,

sorry to hear that. did you restart MySQL after modfiying the configuration file?

thanks,

Li

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

Expert Contributor
Yes I did..

Is there a way I can check in MySql if the changes are applied.

Thanks