Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger Admin install fails with Access Denied error

Explorer

I am seeing the following when it is trying to install Ranger Admin on the Ranger host server:

2016-01-27 08:48:59,962  [I] Database ranger already exists.
2016-01-27 08:48:59,962  [I] ---------- Granting permission to Ranger Admin db user ----------
2016-01-27 08:48:59,962  [I] ---------- Granting privileges TO user 'rangeradmin'@'%' on db 'ranger'----------
SQLException : SQL state: 42000 com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Access denied for user 'root'@'hostname' to database 'ranger' ErrorCode: 1044
SQLException : SQL state: 42000 com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Access denied for user 'root'@'hostname' to database 'ranger' ErrorCode: 1044
2016-01-27 08:49:00,520  [E] Granting privileges to 'rangeradmin' failed on 'ranger'

I have logged onto MySQL on the host machine and granted the following privileges and still the installation throws Access Denied error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Kay Aries

Try this

grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'host' identified by 'password' with grant option;

then restart/reinstall rangeradmin process

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

New Contributor

I am having this error as well,

where should I gran this permissions on the local terminal or inside the hdp?

and what is the command?

thanks for your help.

Explorer

Try this

grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'host' identified by 'password' with grant option;

Rising Star

Hi,

We was facing same issue.We tried some resolution

First we tried:

grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'hadoop04' identified by 'password';

again we was facing same issue

SQLException : SQL state: 42000 com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Access denied for user 'root'@'hadoop04' to database 'ranger' ErrorCode: 1044
2018-07-03 15:13:50,524  [E] Granting privileges to 'rangeradmin' failed on 'ranger'

we had tried with IP address

grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'ip_address_of_rangerhost' identified by 'password';

Which works for me.

Regards

Vinay K