Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger HA - Documentation

I'm reading ranger user guide and it's not clear for me what I need to do to setup ranger with HA:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.2/bk_Ranger_User_Guide/content/ch09.html

Do I need to change any settings on Ranger or on HDFS?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

You would be changing ranger repo to point to active name node after restarts or failover of name nodes

No changes in ambari

Only ranger repo

Please see this screenshot

279-screen-shot-2015-10-21-at-123352-pm.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Master Mentor

You would be changing ranger repo to point to active name node after restarts or failover of name nodes

No changes in ambari

Only ranger repo

Please see this screenshot

279-screen-shot-2015-10-21-at-123352-pm.png

Does that mean Ranger itself cannot be HA but it can work with HA enabled services? And if we the repo has to be changed manually, what is it that Ranger is doing for hA?

Master Mentor

@bsaini@hortonworks.com

You can enable Ranger HA but for NN , you have to configure it manually

277-screen-shot-2015-10-21-at-123238-pm.png

Rising Star

For NN with HA, what should you put for NameNode URL value?

881-ranger-policy-setting.png

Hi Guilherme,

Ranger itself supports HA, meaning you can install multiple instances of the Ranger Admin UI. However as far as I know, Ranger does not support HDFS HA at the moment, so you need to set the active namenode in the repository setting of the HDFS service. This setting is only used for lookups when you create new Policies, so if you can live without this feature, its not a big deal.

Jonas

Ranger does support NN HA from HDP 2.3.

No need to update the active name nodes in Ranger repo config in case of failover.

Rising Star

To vperiasamy, but on namenode url, you still need to specify the active namenode url like hdfs://myactive.nn.com:8020 , instead of the HA sevice name like: hdfs://myhdpcluster

Expert Contributor

@Neeraj Sabharwal @Jonas Straub @vperiasamy

Ranger UI configuration input box for FSDefaultfs defaults to the “clustername”, but documentation specifies to enter the “NameNode”. (Current assumption is that “NameNode” is likely the correct parameter – working when configured according to Hortonworks HDP2.3.2 doc Chap 9: “Special Requirements for High Availability Environments”).

Question : if there is a solution or fix that would allow Ranger HDFS Repository configuration to use fs.defaultFS instead of the active NameNode.

New Contributor

i use ranger 6.0 with ambari 2.4 HDP 2.5

ambari only copy core-site.xml to /etc/ranger-admin/2.5.0.0-1245/0,but acutally after HA namenode,we need hdfs-site.xml

so ,i do as below

ln -s /etc/hadoop/2.5.0.0-1245/0/hdfs-site.xml to /etc/ranger-admin/2.5.0.0-1245/0