Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger Install on HDP 2.5 using Ambari

Rising Star

I am planning to Install Ranger and Ranger KMS on 6 Node cluster managed on Azure VM's. I already have default Ambari postgresql DB installed on Ambari Server . Can anyone please clarify below mentioned doubts i have for ranger installation

1) Can i use the same PostgreSQL DB for creating ranger Audit and Policy DB's?

2) I already have Ambari Infra installed on Cluster? Do i need to use URL as http://solr_host:6083/solr/ranger_audits? where solr_host will be the hostname of machine where Ambari Metrics is installed?

3) Do we need to setup Knox with kerberos before installing Ranger or can it be done later as well?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rahul gulati

Please find below your answers:

Yes you can. However audit to DB has been removed so essentially db will be used for policy only.

2) I already have Ambari Infra installed on Cluster? Do i need to use URL as http://solr_host:6083/solr/ranger_audits? where solr_host will be the hostname of machine where Ambari Metrics is installed?

Solr URL will be host where Ambari Infra is installed.

3) Do we need to setup Knox with kerberos before installing Ranger or can it be done later as well?

Can you please share more details on this? Do you see any document to setup Knox with kerberos?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Rising Star

@rahul gulati

Please find below your answers:

Yes you can. However audit to DB has been removed so essentially db will be used for policy only.

Solr URL will be host where Ambari Infra is installed.

Can you please share more details on this? Do you see any document to setup Knox with kerberos?

Rising Star

@Rahul Pathak

Thanks for your answer.

I was looking at below mentioned Knox Installation document. One thing does kerberos needs to be setup before installing Ranger/Ranger KMS?

No, it is not cumpulsory to have kerberos before installing Ranger/Ranger KMS

>> audit to db support is removed hdp-2.5 onwards, only audit to solr and audit to hdfs is supported , but you can use MSSQL as policy DB ,

>> if ambari infra is installed and you select Audit to solr options, then select solr cloud option and ambari infra/solr url will automatically populate

14267-screen-shot-2017-03-31-at-32751-pm.png

>> knox is not the dependency for ranger , so it can be done later also.

Rising Star

@Deepak Sharma

Thanks for your answer.

1) Can i create Ranger DB's on existing Postgres Ambari DB and then provide DB configuration during Ambari installatio. Is that a viable solution?

2) Does kerberos needs to be setup before installing Ranger/Ranger KMS or is there a way to set up Ranger/Ranger KMS on non kerborized cluster?

Thanks

1) Can i create Ranger DB's on existing Postgres Ambari DB and then provide DB configuration during Ambari installatio. Is that a viable solution?

>> yes you can use existing postgres ambari db and configure it while installing ranger,

2) Does kerberos needs to be setup before installing Ranger/Ranger KMS or is there a way to set up Ranger/Ranger KMS on non kerborized cluster?

-> you can setup ranger/ranger kms on non kerborized cluster , that will not be a problem , but it is recommended to have security + ranger.

While installing ambari, we set up a DB for it. Can we use the same DB for ranger?

Also why do we need to run ambari-server setup --jdbc-db={database-type} --jdbc-driver={/jdbc/driver/path} command while installing ranger?

Will running the above command override the DB used by ambari already?

Master Mentor

@Priyanka

This is a closed thread (2017) can you open a new one and copy past this content.