Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger not appearing as install in Ambari

Explorer

I am trying to install HDP 2.5.3.0 using Ambari 2.4.2 automated install on Centos 7.3 In get started->select version I can see Ranger is listed. I progress through specifying a single system (just for test), validate. When I get to "choose services" there is no sign of ranger........... Any idea what's going wrong here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Nigel Jones,

Ranger is available only once the cluster is installed. You start with the services you want. Then, once the installation is completed, you can add Ranger (add service, select Ranger) from Ambari. It is not available during a fresh install.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Nigel Jones,

Ranger is available only once the cluster is installed. You start with the services you want. Then, once the installation is completed, you can add Ranger (add service, select Ranger) from Ambari. It is not available during a fresh install.

Hope this helps.

Expert Contributor

@Nigel Jones Ranger is not available to install using the cluster install wizard normally. You have to install the cluster first, then install Ranger once the cluster is up and running. I'm not sure of the exact reason but I suspect it is because it would not be set up properly (users and groups not sync'd, etc.) and then set up of services would fail because of permissions issues.

Master Mentor

@Nigel Jones

Can you please share the screenshot of the screen shot where you were expecting to see Ranger? I am not able to find the link that you mentioned to navigate "started->select version" --> "choose services"

But i see it here: Ambari UI --> "Add Service" (button) --> "Choose Services" --> "Ranger"

Explorer

Thanks. I wasn't aware it wasn't part of the base install. I had already found the "add service" option just wanted to check that was the appropriate path. Thanks for the clarification