Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Reading data from Hive (Hbase) external table using Tableau

Expert Contributor

I am using Tableau V8.2. I am able to connect to Hive from Tableau and query Hive managed tables. But When I try to query the Hive external table with actual table in Hbase, I am getting permission denied error when trying to select data.

But when I drag and drop the external table to query window, I am able to get the external table metadata without issues. Its just that the read is not working even though I have all the permissions.

Mine is kerberized cluster. Does this have something to do with this? Any idea how to access this?

Note: I created a ODBC driver connection and TDC file for tableau connectivity and connected to Hive using "Other ODBC sources" from Tableau. I was unable to connect using Hortonworks Hive Driver.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I tried to query the same table today. And I was able to query it. Not sure why it was an issue earlier. I queried using the same ID again and it worked. Earlier it was an issue only from Tableau. I was able to query the hive external table and also Hbase table directly using command line without issues.

Now this works fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

What is the exact error you are getting? Can you access that table in hive shell/beeline via same user? If not check HBase ACL or Ranger permissions.(if enabled for hbase) Also check hive,hbase logs for errors/exception when you connect.

Rising Star

Just to add to Ajay, If you're using ranger, check policies for HDFS, hive, and hbase and make sure you have permissions to access the table and hdfs directory.

Kerberized clusters will certainly have something to do with this. Make sure the service principals have been added properly. If you kerberized your cluster using ambari, this should be done for you automatically.

Expert Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I tried to query the same table today. And I was able to query it. Not sure why it was an issue earlier. I queried using the same ID again and it worked. Earlier it was an issue only from Tableau. I was able to query the hive external table and also Hbase table directly using command line without issues.

Now this works fine.