Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Running into errors accessing hive

Contributor

Hi,

I just tried to install hive on a server.

This server already has an existing hive service on it. My goal is to upgrade the version for our existing hive in our hadoop cluster.

When I ran hive after installing it manually by following the instructions:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AdminManual+Installation#AdminManualInstallation-In...

I ran into the below error:

[root@sunnymaster02 apache-hive-2.3.8-bin]# pwd
/root/apache-hive-2.3.8-bin
[root@sunnymaster02 apache-hive-2.3.8-bin]# bin/hive
which: no hbase in (/root/apache-maven-3.6.3/bin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Djava.awt.headless=true
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=512m; support was removed in 8.0
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/root/apache-hive-2.3.8-bin/lib/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.6.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.6.1.0-129/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLoggerFactory]

Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/root/apache-hive-2.3.8-bin/lib/hive-common-2.3.8.jar!/hive-log4j2.properties Async: true
Hive-on-MR is deprecated in Hive 2 and may not be available in the future versions. Consider using a different execution engine (i.e. spark, tez) or using Hive 1.X releases.
hive> show databases;
FAILED: SemanticException org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
hive>

Can someone please tell me what the error message means or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1

Expert Contributor

Hi,

As you previously had a version of hive in same machine and the error here is referring to hive metastore then its probably due to old config from the old hive installation "/etc/hive/conf"

Best Regards,