Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

S3 connectivity using impala shell

Highlighted

S3 connectivity using impala shell

Contributor

Hello,

I tried to do the following operations in Cloudera machine for impala using impala-shell

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-7-x/topics/impala_s3.html

In this Cloudera machine I verified the S3 connectivity using the following command and was able to access

hdfs dfs -Dfs.s3a.access.key=myaccesskey -Dfs.s3a.secret.key=mysecretkey -ls s3a://myclouderaraj/root

Updated [root@quickstart ~]# cd /etc/hadoop/conf/hdfs-site.xml file for access and secret key.

Restarted all the services, also tried restarting cloudera-scm-server.

Then ran the following from impala-shell

[localhost:21000] > create database db_on_hdfs;
[localhost:21000] > use db_on_hdfs;
[localhost:21000] > create table mostly_on_hdfs (x int) partitioned by (year int);
[localhost:21000] > alter table mostly_on_hdfs add partition (year=2013);
[localhost:21000] > alter table mostly_on_hdfs add partition (year=2014);
[localhost:21000] > alter table mostly_on_hdfs add partition (year=2015) location 's3a://impala-demo/dir1/dir2/dir3/t1';

[quickstart.cloudera:21000] > alter table mostly_on_hdfs add partition (year=2015) LOCATION 's3a://myclouderaraj/root';
Query: alter table mostly_on_hdfs add partition (year=2015) LOCATION 's3a://myclouderaraj/root'
ERROR: AnalysisException: null
CAUSED BY: AmazonClientException: Unable to load AWS credentials from any provider in the chain

[quickstart.cloudera:21000] >

Can you please help.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajesh

2 REPLIES 2

Re: S3 connectivity using impala shell

Contributor

Hello,

Now I was able to run the same query by specifying like this. Not sure does the one which is failed requires any more configuration to be set.

alter table mostly_on_hdfs add partition (year=2015) location 's3a://AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID:AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY@myclouderaraj/root';

My intension of running these queries to get metadata and lineage information of S3 items in Cloudera Navigator. But I see nothing related to S3 in Cloudera Navigator.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Re: S3 connectivity using impala shell

Cloudera Employee

Yes you need to add it to core-site.xml for Impala to have this configuration

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here