Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

SQL Server Linked Server To Impala Setup

New Contributor

Hi All,

Are there any instructions/guides on how to setup a linked server from SQL Server to Impala (and Hive)?

I have a working ODBC connection setup but can't figure out how to configure the linked server within SQL Server itself.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Expert Contributor

New Contributor

That doesn't explain how to setup the linked server step-by-step - That's the info i need

New Contributor

Below are the step by step approach for making SQL Server Linked Server to work with Cloudera Impala.

As SQL Server is 64 bit product, we have to install Cloudera Impala 64 bit ODBC driver to make it

working with SQL Server linked service.

We need to follow the below steps:

1. Install Cloudera Impala 64 bit driver in the same SQL Server machine and set up the DSN with below settings.

rvenkat_0-1652428386557.png

2. Now, create linked server in SQL Server with below settings. Product name, Datasource  should be the same as the name created in DSN.

rvenkat_2-1652432508644.png

rvenkat_1-1652432176451.png

Now, the impala queries will work fine without issues, using SQL Server linked server. We had unicode data pull issues and we solved it by going for above settings. 

New Contributor

How do I find the product name?

New Contributor

As mentioned in the post, Product name is same as DSN name. 

New Contributor

I try the same name but I got error:

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "IMPALA".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "IMPALA" returned message "[Cloudera][KerberosSupport] (0) Error occurred during Kerberos library operation: Internal credentials cache error". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

New Contributor

Thanks Trollied. I tried as you suggested but get the error;

Msg 7313, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 An invalid schema or catalog was specified for the provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Netsuite".

Any other thoughts.