Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Sandbox 2.5 in VMWare cannot SETUP AMBARI admin PASSWORD MANUALLY

New Contributor

I'm a newbie to hadoop ecosystem. When I play with Hortonworks Sandbox 2.5 following Learning the Ropes of the Hortonworks Sandbox , I cannot SETUP AMBARI admin PASSWORD MANUALLY as 2.1 does.

ambari-admin-password-reset 

command didn't work.

7730-截图20160918154714.png

any solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

I just came across this same issue. I am running the HDP 2.5 sandbox using vmware Fusion. Usually I could just ssh into the vm and run the ambari-admin-password-reset command, but with this latest release of the sandbox - I had to find the docker container running ambari, log into the docker container, and then I was able to reset the ambari password. This definitely changed from the previous releases of the sandbox.

after ssh root@sandbox (again, vmware Fusion syntax vs virtual box syntax of 127.0.0.1)

# ps -ef | grep container-ip

I'm sure there is a better way, but from this listing I saw the container ip address was 172.17.0.2

ssh root@172.17.0.2

From here, I had to reset the root password on the container (as typical) and then I was able to run

# ambari-admin-password-reset

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Guru

Could you restart the VM image and try again. After it restarts, verify ambari is running (as root) the command ambari-server status. Also if it is running, try to log into http://127.0.0.1:8080/ as maria_dev maria_dev and see what happens.

Master Guru

can you login as admin with password admin

Master Guru

are you logged in as root/hadoop in the root home directory? http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/learning-the-ropes-of-the-hortonworks-sandbox/

Expert Contributor

What you can do as a work around is to ssh into the sandbox using "ssh root@127.0.0.1 -p 2222" and do the ambari-admin-password-reset .This generally works

Cloudera Employee

I just came across this same issue. I am running the HDP 2.5 sandbox using vmware Fusion. Usually I could just ssh into the vm and run the ambari-admin-password-reset command, but with this latest release of the sandbox - I had to find the docker container running ambari, log into the docker container, and then I was able to reset the ambari password. This definitely changed from the previous releases of the sandbox.

after ssh root@sandbox (again, vmware Fusion syntax vs virtual box syntax of 127.0.0.1)

# ps -ef | grep container-ip

I'm sure there is a better way, but from this listing I saw the container ip address was 172.17.0.2

ssh root@172.17.0.2

From here, I had to reset the root password on the container (as typical) and then I was able to run

# ambari-admin-password-reset

New Contributor

it works! thank you~

wait a minute to login with your new passwd until the amabri-server restarting is completed.

Guru

(Am using VirtualBox and do not encounter this problem)

Works great ! Thanks.