Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Server has invalid Kerberos principal

After kerberising the cluster (HDP 2.3.2 on SLES 11.4) many services doesn't start anymore:

Nimbus, Storm Supervisor, HBase Master, Phoenix and the YARN node managers on the nodes other than the Resource Manager

In detail, the YARN log contain the following:

org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failed on local exception: java.io.IOException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Server has invalid Kerberos principal: rm/<res_mgr_host>@hdp23cluster; Host Details : local host is: "<nod_mgr_host>/<nod_mgr_ip>"; destination host is: "<res_mgr_host>":8025;

On <res_mgr_host> runs the YARN RM, on <nod_mgr_host> run an additional node manager

I've installed a standard kerberos server using zypper and succesfully configured kerberos in Ambari leaving all default values.

On all nodes is configured a proxy, additionally, the no_proxy system variable contains the list of hosts for which the proxy should be ignored: all node hosts + other hosts.

What could be wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

This appears to be FQDN issue. Does your DNS resolution happen through a DNS server or hosts file? if it is hosts file make sure all nodes have fqdn followed by their assigned IP address.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Super Guru

Hi @Nicola Marangoni

Can you login to ambari and click on Kerberos->Advance and check if the principals are present /created for respective services properly ? Check the screenshot below -

4126-screen-shot-2016-05-10-at-30008-pm.png

Super Guru

Were there any issue while kerberizing the cluster? Did it fininshed without any error ?

@Nicola Marangoni

Unless you changed this when editing your log entry for the post, your realm is incorrect. You have "hdp23cluster" as your realm when it should be in all upper case characters - "HDP23CLUSTER".

To change this, your best bet is to disable Kerberos and then re-enable Kerberos with the correct realm.

@Sagar Shimpi: the user exists.

@Robert Levas: The realm ist in lower case also in kerberos. Should I indeed enter it in uppercase in Ambari?

Technically, if the realm matches in the KDC, the /etc/krb5.conf file, and Ambari, all should work. But I have seen that the MIT Kerberos libraries tend to assume the realm is all uppercase - or maybe it is the internal Hadoop Kerberos logic.

You can check the MIT libray case by attempting to manually kinit and see if it works.

kinit -kt /etc/security/keytabs/rm.service.keytab  rm/<res_mgr_host>@hdp23cluster

In any case, I would disable Kerberos in Ambari, rebuild the KDC using the uppercase form of the realm, and then re-enable Kerberos. If it doesn't work after this, we can at least rule out the case-sensitivity issue.

@Robert Levas

Thank you for the tip, after recreating and re-configuring everything with an uppercase realm, it still doesn't work.

However, I have noticed that the keytab rm.service.keytab is present on the RM host, but not in the other hosts.

Should the keytab be present on every host? If yes, than the automatic deployment of the keytabs doesn't work well.

Keytabs on the non-RM node:

dn.service.keytab
hbase.headless.keytab
hdfs.headless.keytab
knox.service.keytab
nfs.service.keytab
nm.service.keytab
nn.service.keytab
smokeuser.headless.keytab
spark.headless.keytab
spnego.service.keytab
zk.service.keytab

Keytabs on the RM node:

dn.service.keytab
hbase.headless.keytab
hdfs.headless.keytab
hive.service.keytab
jhs.service.keytab
nfs.service.keytab
nm.service.keytab
nn.service.keytab
oozie.service.keytab
rm.service.keytab
sbetp.headless.keytab
smokeuser.headless.keytab
spark.headless.keytab
spnego.service.keytab
yarn.service.keytab
zk.service.keytab

@Nicola Marangoni

The keytabs are only distributed to the hosts on which they are needed. So I do not expect all keytab file to be distributed to all hosts.

@Robert Levas

The command

kinit -kt /etc/security/keytabs/rm.service.keytab  rm/<res_mgr_host>@hdp23cluster

works only on the RM-node, maybe because of the missing keytab.

After copying the rm.service.keytab on all nodes the command works in the console, but the node manager fails again with the same error "Server has invalid Kerberos principal".