Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

SimpleUDFExample and Error - GenericUDFBridge cannot access a member error

Explorer

I'm new to UDF and selected this example (https://github.com/rathboma/hive-extension-examples) to test the waters. In hive cli, I can add the resulting jar file and can create a temporary function, but when I use it in a query , I receive the following error:

java.lang.IllegalAccessException: Class org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.udf.generic.GenericUDFBridge can not access a member of class com.matthewrathbone.example.SimpleUDFExample with modifiers ""

a google search suggested the changing the class to public would resolve this issue, but that hasn't worked for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Are you sure that you picked up an updated jar when you changed the modifier of the class? Changing the modifier should have worked...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Contributor

Are you sure that you picked up an updated jar when you changed the modifier of the class? Changing the modifier should have worked...

Explorer

Gunther, Thanks for the response. I think I had a version of the jar file in the hive path that didn't have the public class modifier. There was much flailing an an attempt to resolve the issue and I had at least three copies floating around. I deleted everything and redeployed with the correct setting and it works now.