Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Slider getting InvalidProtocolBufferException error

Contributor

Asking this in this forum since it a slider issue and Cloudera does not "support" slider.

I get the following error when doing slider (0.91.0-incubating) deploy, status and other commands: This started when communicating with a kerberos Cloudera 5.8 cluster, the code works with kerberos Cloudera 5.7 cluster. The version of protobuf-java-2.5.0 is used by slider and cloudera. Any ideas of what may be the problem would be appreciated

2016-08-29 15:45:18,899 [main] WARN ipc.Client - Exception encountered while connecting to the server : org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException): Protocol message contained an invalid tag (zero). 2016-08-29 15:45:18,901 [main] WARN client.SliderClient - Exception while trying to terminate test1_default_index com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Protocol message contained an invalid tag (zero). at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:422) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.instantiateException(RemoteException.java:106) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.unwrapRemoteException(RemoteException.java:95) at org.apache.slider.server.appmaster.rpc.SliderClusterProtocolProxy.convert(SliderClusterProtocolProxy.java:86) at org.apache.slider.server.appmaster.rpc.SliderClusterProtocolProxy.stopCluster(SliderClusterProtocolProxy.java:98) at org.apache.slider.client.SliderClient.actionFreeze(SliderClient.java:3033) at org.apache.slider.client.SliderClient.exec(SliderClient.java:392) at org.apache.slider.client.SliderClient.runService(SliderClient.java:329) at org.apache.slider.core.main.ServiceLauncher.launchService(ServiceLauncher.java:188) at org.apache.slider.core.main.ServiceLauncher.launchServiceRobustly(ServiceLauncher.java:475) at org.apache.slider.core.main.ServiceLauncher.launchServiceAndExit(ServiceLauncher.java:403) at org.apache.slider.core.main.ServiceLauncher.serviceMain(ServiceLauncher.java:630) at org.apache.slider.Slider.main(Slider.java:49) Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException): Protocol message contained an invalid tag (zero). at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1476) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1407) at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:229) at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy17.stopCluster(Unknown Source) at org.apache.slider.server.appmaster.rpc.SliderClusterProtocolProxy.stopCluster(SliderClusterProtocolProxy.java:96)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Slider uses its own Hadoop jars in the Slider lib directory. I suspect that the Hadoop client jars Slider is using are not compatible with the version of Hadoop running on the cluster. If you built Slider yourself, you could try rebuilding it with a hadoop.version that matches the version running on your cluster (you may need to adjust some other dependency versions in this case as well). Alternatively, you could try replacing the hadoop jars in the Slider lib directory, but if the versions are too far apart this will not work and you'll have to rebuild Slider.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

Slider uses its own Hadoop jars in the Slider lib directory. I suspect that the Hadoop client jars Slider is using are not compatible with the version of Hadoop running on the cluster. If you built Slider yourself, you could try rebuilding it with a hadoop.version that matches the version running on your cluster (you may need to adjust some other dependency versions in this case as well). Alternatively, you could try replacing the hadoop jars in the Slider lib directory, but if the versions are too far apart this will not work and you'll have to rebuild Slider.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I rebuilt slider using hadoop and protobuf jars that are the same version that Cloudera 5.8 is using. The error still occurs. The hadoop was a version of 2.6.0 which did not appear to have other dependencies.

After more testing this seems to occur when using kerberos. Cludera 5.8 without kerberos does not have a problem.

Contributor

Once I deployed updated hadoop jars the error was fixed.

New Contributor

I am also getting the same error while stopping the application using slider on clouder cluster with Kerberos enabled. But I could able to launch an application without any issues.

What could be the possible issue?.