Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Spark 1.5 - SparkException: Yarn application has already ended!

Contributor

Hi,

I have setup Spark 1.5 through Ambari on HDP2.3.4 Ambari reports all the services on HDP are running fine including Spark. I have installed Zeppelin and trying to use notebook as documented in Zeppelin tech preview notebook.

However, when I run sc.version, I am seeing an error

org.apache.spark.SparkException: Yarn application has already ended! It might have been killed or unable to launch application master.
 at org.apache.spark.scheduler.cluster.YarnClientSchedulerBackend.waitForApplication(YarnClientSchedulerBackend.scala:119)
 at org.apache.spark.scheduler.cluster.YarnClientSchedulerBackend.start(YarnClientSchedulerBackend.scala:64)
 at org.apache.spark.scheduler.TaskSchedulerImpl.start(TaskSchedulerImpl.scala:141)
 at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.<init>(SparkContext.scala:497)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.createSparkContext(SparkInterpreter.java:339)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.getSparkContext(SparkInterpreter.java:149)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.open(SparkInterpreter.java:465)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.ClassloaderInterpreter.open(ClassloaderInterpreter.java:74)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.open(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:68)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.interpret(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:92)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:276)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:170)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.FIFOScheduler$1.run(FIFOScheduler.java:118)
 at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
 at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
 at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
 at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Let me know what is causing this. Does it relate to any configuration issue? Attached is the screenshot for the interpreter configuration.

1633-zeppelin-interpreter-settings.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

@Artem Ervits This is still an outstanding issue with 1.5.2. No workaround has been found. However, I have now upgraded to Spark 1.6 integrated with Zeppelin, which works fine.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Contributor

@Artem Ervits This is still an outstanding issue with 1.5.2. No workaround has been found. However, I have now upgraded to Spark 1.6 integrated with Zeppelin, which works fine.

Expert Contributor

@vbhoomireddy

@Neeraj Sabharwal

I have now made it work. Zeppelin 0.6.0 works now on Spark 1.5.2.

2340-zeppelin-spark-version-1-5-2.jpg

If this is still of someone's interest let me know, I can describe what I did.

New Contributor

Hi, we have the same problem with the same spark and hadoop versions. How you solve the problem? Thank you very much

Expert Contributor

@Jorge de la peña Jorge, next time you should quote the user you are talking to. Pure luck I saw your post. Thank for posting this, btw. It motivated me to finally put together the How-I-did-it

https://markobigdata.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/building-apache-zeppelin-0-6-0-on-spark-1-5-2-in-a-clu...

Hope it helps!

New Contributor

@marko thank you for the blog, but we have a problem. Once installed and started the daemon, the zeppelin status is "zeppelin running but process is dead" and we cannot connect to the page. Do you know why? thanks

Expert Contributor

@Jorge de la peña

Have you checked the log files? Btw, if you can upgrade to Spark 1.6.0, then you should do it.