Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Spark executor default ssl truststore

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to run a spark job for which all executors have to call a secured (HTTPS) web service on a dedicated server. During SSL handshake, this server returns a certificate that has been signed by a private (company specific) CA.

The certificate of this CA has been added to a custom truststore (cacert) that I would like to point to in spark configuration in order for the executors to validate server's certificates without any extra configuration.

I know that I can pass following option to my spark-submit command line :

"--conf "spark.executor.extraJavaOptions=-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=<MyCaCert> -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=<MyPassword>"

...but I would like to avoid asking this to all our users (because they are not supposed to know where this trustore is located and its password).

I tried to use the "ssl.client.truststore.location" property as described in https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.3/bk_security/content/ch_wire-webhdfs-mr-yarn... but it didn't change anything.

Obviously spark does not use this configuration ?

Do you guys know how is configured the default truststore used by spark executors ?

Any help will be highly appreciated 🙂

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Guru

Expert Contributor

If I understand properly, this configuration is used by spark to secure data exhanges between the nodes, but my use case is slightly different : my executor runs custom java code that performs a call to an HTTPS server and in that context, the SSL handshake relies on the default truststore of the JVM instead of the one I configured with my own CA certificate...Maybe that's not possible and the only way to achieve this is to use the properties I mentionned previously...

Thanks for your help

New Contributor

Hello, I have the same problem. Any updates?

Thanks !