Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Spark with HIVE JDBC connection

Contributor

Hi All,

I have a sample table(stuends1) in HIVE which I want to connect from Spark using JDBC (as Hive is not in same cluster). I was just trying with following code...

def main(args: Array[String]): Unit = {
//Class.forName("org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver").newInstance()
val conf = new SparkConf().setAppName("SOME APP NAME").setMaster("local[*]")

val sc = new SparkContext(conf)

val spark = SparkSession
  .builder()
  .appName("Spark Hive Example")
  .getOrCreate()

val jdbcDF = spark.read
  .format("jdbc")
  .option("url", "jdbc:hive2://34.223.237.55:10000")
  .option("dbtable", "students1")
  .option("user", "hduser")
  .option("password", "hadoop")
  //.option("driver", "org.apache.hadoop.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver")
  .load()

println("able to connect------------------")

jdbcDF.show

jdbcDF.printSchema()

jdbcDF.createOrReplaceTempView("std")

val sqlDF = spark.sql("select * from std")
println("Start println-----")
spark.sqlContext.sql("select * from std").collect().foreach(println)
println("end println-----")
sqlDF.show(false)
}

I tried in multiple ways but all the time its showing table structure with column name only. Like ...

+--------------+-------------+-------------+
|students1.name|students1.age|students1.gpa|

But not data, but able to get data when trying to with dbeaver from my local with SQL query. From spark, jdbcDF.printSchema() also showing proper schema , so I guess no issue with connection.

I am using spark 2.1.1 with HIVE 1.2.1. My sbt.build file is like this ....

libraryDependencies ++= Seq(

"log4j"  %   "log4j"  % "1.2.17",
"org.apache.spark" % "spark-core_2.11"                        % "2.1.1" ,
"org.apache.spark" % "spark-streaming-kafka_2.10"             % "1.6.2",
"org.apache.spark" % "spark-hivecontext-compatibility_2.10"   % "2.0.0-preview",
"org.apache.spark" % "spark-sql_2.11"                         % "2.1.1" ,
"org.apache.spark" % "spark-hive_2.10"                        % "2.1.1",
"org.apache.hive"  % "hive-jdbc"                              % "1.2.1"

}

can any one suggest why I am not getting any output of show(). Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Spark connects to the Hive metastore directly via a HiveContext. It does not (nor should, in my opinion) use JDBC.

First, you must compile Spark with Hive support, then you need to explicitly call enableHiveSupport() on the SparkSession bulider.

Additionally, Spark2 will need you to provide either

1. A hive-site.xml file in the classpath

2. Setting hive.metastore.uris . Refer: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31980584/how-to-connect-to-a-hive-metastore-programmatically-in-...

Additional resources

- https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#hive-tables

- https://jaceklaskowski.gitbooks.io/mastering-apache-spark/spark-sql-hive-integration.html

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Super Collaborator

Spark connects to the Hive metastore directly via a HiveContext. It does not (nor should, in my opinion) use JDBC.

First, you must compile Spark with Hive support, then you need to explicitly call enableHiveSupport() on the SparkSession bulider.

Additionally, Spark2 will need you to provide either

1. A hive-site.xml file in the classpath

2. Setting hive.metastore.uris . Refer: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31980584/how-to-connect-to-a-hive-metastore-programmatically-in-...

Additional resources

- https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#hive-tables

- https://jaceklaskowski.gitbooks.io/mastering-apache-spark/spark-sql-hive-integration.html

Contributor

Thanks Jodan... you saved my day ....thanks a lot .... 🙂

Explorer

What about reading external Hive Data by JDBC from Spark SQL?

Super Collaborator

@CaselChen Again, Spark connects directly to the HiveMetastore - using JDBC requires you to go through HiveServer2

Explorer

Hi Jordan, is there anyway by using JDBC through HiveServer2 with spark, we can load Hive data for non-transactional as well as transactional table ? I have tried it but my tables were empty after loading. All table structures returned ( column names ) are fine though. Thanks.

Super Collaborator
@Tu Nguyen

- I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Spark does not use JDBC to communicate with Hive, but it can load Hive with any type of data that's able to be represented as a Spark DataSet.

You may want to try a "MSCK REPAIR TABLE <tablename>;" in Hive, though

Explorer

Sorry Jordan, I was not clear. As spark context is not supporting Hive Transactional tables. I am trying to use SparkSession to load a hive transactional table through JDBC as below

spSession.read.format("jdbc").option("url", url).option("driver", "org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver").option("dbtable", "tnguy.table_transactional_test").load().show()

The result is an empty table but I was expecting 3 rows of data.

I also tried it on non-transactional table but it gave the same result. I am wondering if we can use hive JDBC to load a hive data ?

Thanks,

Super Collaborator

@Tu Nguyen Where are you reading that you need to use JDBC from Spark to communicate with Hive? It isn't in the SparkSQL documentation.

https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#hive-tables

1. Try using an alternative JDBC client, see if you get similar results.

2. What happens when you simply use the following?

val spark = SparkSession
  .builder()
  .appName("Spark Transactional Hive Example")
  .config("spark.sql.warehouse.dir", warehouseLocation)
  .enableHiveSupport()
  .getOrCreate()

spark.table("tnguy.table_transactional_test").count()

Explorer

I guess Tu Nguyen want to load external Hive table into Spark, right? If so, think about the following code

object SparkHiveJdbc extends App {
  val spark = SparkSession.builder.master("local[2]").appName("SparkHiveJob").getOrCreate
  val sc = spark.sparkContext
  val sqlContext = spark.sqlContext
  val driverName = "org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver"
  Class.forName(driverName)
  val df = spark.read
    .format("jdbc")
    .option("url", "jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000/default")
    .option("dbtable", "clicks_json")
    .load()
  df.printSchema()
  println(df.count())
  df.show()
}

I run the above code and met error reported as

root
|-- clicks_json.ip: string (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.timestamp: long (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.url: string (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.referrer: string (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.useragent: string (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.sessionid: integer (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.tenantid: string (nullable = true) |-- clicks_json.datestamp: string (nullable = true)
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "clicks_json.timestamp" at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65) at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:589) at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:631) at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveBaseResultSet.getLong(HiveBaseResultSet.java:368) ... 23 more<br>

The reason of error I think is spark load header title row as first row when convert ResultSet into internal Row object.
Anything wrong here?