Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

SparkR, RStudio, HDP 2.5

Expert Contributor

Hello,

I try to run:

1. wget https://download2.rstudio.org/rstudio-server-rhel-0.99.893-x86_64.rpm
  2. sudo yum install --nogpgcheck rstudio-server-rhel-0.99.893-x86_64.rpm
  3. sudo rstudio-server verify-installation
  4. sudo rstudio-server stop
  5. sudo rstudio-server start

However, with (2), I get this error:

Running Transaction Installing : rstudio-server-0.99.893-1.x86_64 1/1 groupadd: group 'rstudio-server' already exists rsession: no process killed initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused Verifying : rstudio-server-0.99.893-1.x86_64 1/1

Installed: rstudio-server.x86_64 0:0.99.893-1

Complete!

----

Then when I try (3), I get this error: [root@sandbox ~]# sudo rstudio-server verify-installation Unable to find an installation of R on the system (which R didn't return valid output); Unable to locate R binary by scanning standard locations initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused [root@sandbox ~]#

---

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks,

Marcia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

It's working now...

I used the following advice:

"I found this page because I had the exact same issue! Solved it by looking in /etc/init/rstudio-server.conf Within a centos docker you can start rstudio via:

exec /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver

That will also close your docker shell, so you might want to put it in a supervisord script, or run as daemon, or .... Maybe look at some rstudio-server dockerfiles for the different approaches usually used."

<<<https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/202767523-Fail-to-install-rstudio-in-a-centos-d...>>>

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Expert Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

Still, RStudio is not working by trying your two suggestions....

Expert Contributor

It's working now...

I used the following advice:

"I found this page because I had the exact same issue! Solved it by looking in /etc/init/rstudio-server.conf Within a centos docker you can start rstudio via:

exec /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver

That will also close your docker shell, so you might want to put it in a supervisord script, or run as daemon, or .... Maybe look at some rstudio-server dockerfiles for the different approaches usually used."

<<<https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/202767523-Fail-to-install-rstudio-in-a-centos-d...>>>

Super Collaborator

Very glad to know that:)

Master Mentor

@Marcy I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem, please use the comments section for non-solution specific dialog and only use "answer" section for solutions and anything that does not fit in comments, usually that's 600 characters or more. It is hard to follow steps to resolution if you add too many answers.

Explorer

any update here?

Running into the same issue

initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused