Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Specifying delimiters for Hive table with nested complex type columns

Explorer

I have a Hive table whose columns are nested complex types – columns are ‘array of arrays of structs’ and ‘struct of arrays and structs’. I am writing the data with the delimiters to the underlying Hadoop file directly. Now the delimiters can occur in my data and I need to know how to escape it.

1) In the table creation statement, only one delimiter can be specified for collections along with the escape character. It does not allow me to specify multiple delimiters (I get syntax error, if I tried to). For e.g

hive>create table delimiter_test( c1 struct< l1a:struct<l2a:string, l2b:string>, l1b:struct<l2c:array<string>, l2d:string> >, c2 array<struct<l1a:struct<l2a:string, l2b:string>, l1b:string>> ) row format delimited fields terminated by 'a' collection items terminated by 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e' ESCAPED BY '\\' STORED AS TEXTFILE;

NoViableAltException(10@[1757:103: ( tableRowFormatMapKeysIdentifier )?]) at org.antlr.runtime.DFA.noViableAlt(DFA.java:158) at org.antlr.runtime.DFA.predict(DFA.java:144) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.HiveParser.rowFormatDelimited(HiveParser.java:34142) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.HiveParser.tableRowFormat(HiveParser.java:34377) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.HiveParser.createTableStatement(HiveParser.java:5003) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.HiveParser.ddlStatement(HiveParser.java:2364) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.HiveParser.execStatement(HiveParser.java:1586) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.HiveParser.statement(HiveParser.java:1062) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.ParseDriver.parse(ParseDriver.java:201) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.ParseDriver.parse(ParseDriver.java:166) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compile(Driver.java:404) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compile(Driver.java:305) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compileInternal(Driver.java:1119) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.runInternal(Driver.java:1167) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1055) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1045) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLocalCmd(CliDriver.java:207) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:159) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:370) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.executeDriver(CliDriver.java:757) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:675) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:615) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136) FAILED: ParseException line 1:287 cannot recognize input near ',' ''c'' ',' in serde properties specification

2) In the table creation statement, if I don’t specify the delimiters and go with the default ^A, ^B, ^C etc. characters then the default escape character ‘\’ does not have any effect. If my data has any of the default delimiters, on retrieval using Hive CLI, it becomes garbage.

Any suggestions on how I can handle this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star

Can you provide your sample input entry.?

Explorer

I created the table using the statement (this statement uses the default delimiters, ^A, ^B etc.):

create table delimiter_test( c1 struct< l1a:struct<l2a:string, l2b:string>, l1b:struct<l2c:array<string>, l2d:string> >, c2 array<struct<l1a:struct<l2a:string, l2b:string>, l1b:string>> ) row format delimited STORED AS TEXTFILE;

I inserted one row using the statement:

insert into table delimiter_test select named_struct("l1a",named_struct("l2a","111", "l2b","222"), "l1b",named_struct("l2c",array("333", "333"), "l2d","444")), array(named_struct("l1a",named_struct("l2a","555", "l2b","666"), "l1b","777"), named_struct("l1a",named_struct("l2a","888", "l2b","999"), "l1b","000")) from z_dummy;

Note the above sample data does not have any default delimiters in it.

Next, I go to the underlying HDFS file and edit it, so that the data has default delimiters. When I put a delimiter in the data, I also put an escape char \ in front of it. I have attached the screenshots of the data in hex, before and after editing it.

Contents of file before editing to have a delimiter in the data.

16261-originaldata.png

Contents of file after editing to have a delimiter in the data.

16262-editeddata.png

Once I have default delimiters in the data, it becomes unreadable (escaping didnt help)

@Ravi Chinni

If your sample data is like this: 1,abc,40000,maths$physics$chemistry,99@90@87,pf#500$epf#200,hyd$ap$500001 then you can use the below query.

create table struct_tables(id int,name string,sal int,sub array<string>, pfstatus map<string,int>,address struct<city:string,state:string,pincode:bigint>) row format delimited fields terminated by ',' collection items terminated by '$' map keys terminated by '#';

In general FILELDS TERMINATED BY does not support multi-character delimiters for collections in Hive. Hence If your data is in this format 1,abc,40000,maths$physics$chemistry,99@90@87,pf#500$epf#200,hyd$ap$500001 then you need to replace either one of the delimiters with one (i.e either # with @ or @ with #) and then you can use the create statement.

Also refer the below link for using multiple delimiters :

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/MultiDelimitSerDe

http://hadoopinrealworld.com/how-to-use-multi-character-delimiter-in-a-hive-table/

Hope this info helps you..