Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Storm-hbase bolt failing over DRPC

Expert Contributor

I am writing a Storm topology to read data from HBase using DRPC. Essentially this performs a scan to get data, enriches the data and returns it.

I can easily get a basic DRPC example working (based on http://storm.apache.org/releases/current/Distributed-RPC.html). However when I insert the code for the scan, the process takes a very long time. After a minute, I get the following error:

backtype.storm.generated.DRPCExecutionException

at backtype.storm.daemon.drpc$service_handler$reify__8688.failRequest(drpc.clj:136) ~[storm-core-0.10.0.2.4.2.0-258.jar:0.10.0.2.4.2.0-258]

at backtype.storm.drpc.DRPCSpout.fail(DRPCSpout.java:241) ~[storm-core-0.10.0.2.4.2.0-258.jar:0.10.0.2.4.2.0-258

A short while later, I get org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RetriesExhaustedException. This doesn't always happen, but is very common. My assumption based on this is one of two possibilities:

1. The scan is timing out. However performing the scan through HBase Shell or REST return in less than a second
  2. The table is inconsistent, causing a certain region to be missing. I have run hbase hbck and it shows 0 inconsistencies.

I know that the connection to HBase is fine: I have added debugging output and the bolt gets the results. However due to the DRPCExecutionException, these results are never returned over DRPC.

I though the issue was DRPC timeout, however I have increased the DRPC timeout a lot and I get the same result in the same amount of time. After Googling I found someone else with the same issue (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35940623/stormdrpc-request-failed) but there is no indication of how to fix this.

For reference I am adding my code below:

try (Table table = HbaseClient.connection().getTable(TableName.valueOf("EPG_URI"))) 
    {
        List<Filter> filters = new ArrayList<>();
        String startRowString = "start";
        String endRowString = "end";
        RowFilter startRow = new RowFilter(CompareFilter.CompareOp.GREATER_OR_EQUAL, new BinaryPrefixComparator(startRowString.getBytes()));
        filters.add(startRow);
        RowFilter endRow = new RowFilter(CompareFilter.CompareOp.LESS_OR_EQUAL, new BinaryPrefixComparator(endRowString.getBytes()));
        filters.add(endRow);
        FilterList filterList = new FilterList(FilterList.Operator.MUST_PASS_ALL, filters);

Scan scan = new Scan();
        scan.addFamily("f1".getBytes());
        scan.setFilter(filterList);

ResultScanner scanner = table.getScanner(scan);
        for (Result result : scanner) 
        {
            hbaseValues.add(result);
        }
    }
} 

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Josh Elser It wasn't actually giving me any clears errors or exceptions, simply hanging. However I succesfully fixed it by simplifying my scan as below:

Scan scan = new Scan(startRowString.getBytes(), endRowString.getBytes());

for (Result r : scanner)

{...}

Based on that the problem seemed to be on the HBase side rather than Storm.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

Can you share the full HBase errors/exceptions you see? It's not clear to me from your description whether this should be approached from the Storm side or the HBase side.

Expert Contributor

@Josh Elser It wasn't actually giving me any clears errors or exceptions, simply hanging. However I succesfully fixed it by simplifying my scan as below:

Scan scan = new Scan(startRowString.getBytes(), endRowString.getBytes());

for (Result r : scanner)

{...}

Based on that the problem seemed to be on the HBase side rather than Storm.

Super Guru

Hrm. Curious. Maybe the HBase client API is doing multiple retries before giving up? You can try reducing "Maximum Client Retries" on the Ambari configuration page for HBase from 35 to 5 or 10 to make the client give up and tell you why it was failing/retrying. Just a guess given what you've been able to provide so far.