Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ubuntu 14.04 upgrade without HDP upgrade

Contributor

Hi,

I have just upgraded to a HDP-2.4.2 and Ambari 2.2.2.0. The cluster is installed on 6 nodes running Ubuntu 14.04 server. I want to update the Ubuntu packages (apt-get dist-upgrade), without updating/modifying the HDP packages. What should I consider when doing this?

Do I have to remove the hortonworks repo during the upgrade and add it later? Are there any side effects that must be taken into account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

You can exclude HDP repo during upgrade there are ways of doing that with RHEL with disablerepo clause, same should be available in Ubuntu. I must agree with Ryan that if you're on latest HDP then updating OS should already be done for you. What version of Ubuntu did you use to install HDP?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Angel Kafazov

If you upgraded HDP and Ambari to their latest versions, what are you worried about on updating your Ubuntu packages (since HDP and Ambari are already at their latest versions)?

Referring to

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.2.0/bk_Installing_HDP_AMB/content/_download_the...

if you want a version of Ambari later than 2.2.2, wouldn't you need to add a new repo? wget -nv http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/ubuntu14/2.x/updates/2.2.2.0/ambari.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ambari.list (later than 2.2.2)?

Master Mentor

You can exclude HDP repo during upgrade there are ways of doing that with RHEL with disablerepo clause, same should be available in Ubuntu. I must agree with Ryan that if you're on latest HDP then updating OS should already be done for you. What version of Ubuntu did you use to install HDP?

Contributor

Thank you. I have updated to the latest HDP 2.4 but that might be a newer version when I do the ubuntu update. Currently, I am running Ubuntu 14.04. It seems like the best solution would be to disable the hortonworks repo during the upgrade and then enable it again.

Master Mentor

I recommend you try it in dev or on virtual environment. Did you use Ubuntu 14.04 to install HDP? Probably not. Do one machine at a time.