Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Upgrade Apache phoenix in HDP2.4

Hi,

I'm using HDP 2.4 mainly because I have java application that need Kafka 0.822 so I can't really migrate to HDP 2.5 at the moment, still i'm very interested in some new features iin Apache Phoenix like row timestamp .

So my question what's the easy way to migrate from Apache pHoenix 4.4 to Apache Phoenix 4.6 + in HDP 2.4 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

There is no way to change the version of some component in HDP without upgrading HDP. This is not a supported scenario.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Super Guru

There is no way to change the version of some component in HDP without upgrading HDP. This is not a supported scenario.

Expert Contributor

can you comment on answer written here?

Super Guru

It is within your ability to change the JARs on your system, but this is not something we recommend. You will run into issues, and you will be on your own to fix them.

Expert Contributor

thank you.

Expert Contributor

I managed to upgrade it to 4.10 as 4.7 had some serious bugs which would not allow it to be usable.

https://superuser.blog/upgrading-apache-phoenix-hdp/

UPDATE: we were on HDP 2.5 and bug was related to count() method. It may have been resolved in newer patched version of phoenix available with latest HDP 2.6

Super Guru

Your comment is a bit misleading. Please remember that the corresponding "Apache version" of each component included in HDP is to be interpreted as a baseline. It is very typical that an HDP release of Phoenix contains numerous fixes backported from newer releases of Phoenix onto the older version. For example, the following document lists the changes over Phoenix 4.7 that were included in HDP 2.6.3 https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.3/bk_release-notes/content/patch_phoenix.html

Expert Contributor

Thanks @Josh Elser for pointing that out. I updated the answer.