Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Upgrading HDF 3.0.1 to HDF 3.1.1 in PROD

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Thanks a lot to this awesome community. We are trying to upgrade NiFi cluster in PROD.

Our Ambari version is 2.5.1 in HDF and NiFi is 1.2 we are upgrading to NiFi 1.5 and HDF 3.1.1

I understand we will have to stop all the flows in NiFi. and then upgrade it.

1.How long will it take to upgrade (on an average).

2. In addition when we upgrade to new nifi 1.5 , do we to individually upgrade all the processors?

Thanks

Dhiren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor
@dhieru singh

1. It is hard to say exactly how long an upgrade will take because there are more components then just NiFi included in the HDF stack. However, the typical upgrade goes fairly quickly. It is not necessary to stop your flows, your flows will be stopped when Nifi is stopped for the upgrade. I would recommend stopping dataflows when upgrading between major release versions. (for example HDF 2.x to HDF 3.x). The new version of NIFi will point at same repositories your old NiFi used, so dataflows will startup and continue where they left off.

-

2. There is never a need to upgrade processors manually post an upgrade. *** The only time that would occur is if post upgrade NiFi found more then one version of a processor (however this would only occur if a user had multiple versions of a processor in a custom lib directory). Otherwise, NiFi will use the processor version available in the upgraded NiFi version automatically.

-

While I can think of none, you will want to check your dataflows post upgrade to make sure you don't have any unexpected "invalid" processors. It is rare but possible that processors types you are using may have been updated and had added new required properties. These properties would yield the processor invalid until those properties were populated. This happens very rarely and as i mentioned can think of no such cases going from HDF 3.0.x to HDF 3.1.x.

-

Hope this addresses your upgrade concerns,

Matt

-

If you found this post has addressed your question, please take a moment to login and clcik "accept" on the answer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Mentor
@dhieru singh

1. It is hard to say exactly how long an upgrade will take because there are more components then just NiFi included in the HDF stack. However, the typical upgrade goes fairly quickly. It is not necessary to stop your flows, your flows will be stopped when Nifi is stopped for the upgrade. I would recommend stopping dataflows when upgrading between major release versions. (for example HDF 2.x to HDF 3.x). The new version of NIFi will point at same repositories your old NiFi used, so dataflows will startup and continue where they left off.

-

2. There is never a need to upgrade processors manually post an upgrade. *** The only time that would occur is if post upgrade NiFi found more then one version of a processor (however this would only occur if a user had multiple versions of a processor in a custom lib directory). Otherwise, NiFi will use the processor version available in the upgraded NiFi version automatically.

-

While I can think of none, you will want to check your dataflows post upgrade to make sure you don't have any unexpected "invalid" processors. It is rare but possible that processors types you are using may have been updated and had added new required properties. These properties would yield the processor invalid until those properties were populated. This happens very rarely and as i mentioned can think of no such cases going from HDF 3.0.x to HDF 3.1.x.

-

Hope this addresses your upgrade concerns,

Matt

-

If you found this post has addressed your question, please take a moment to login and clcik "accept" on the answer.

Expert Contributor

@Matt Clarke Thanks a lot appreciate your help