Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Warning message in Hive output after upgrading to hive version 1.1.0 from 0.13.0.

Expert Contributor

Our cluster was recently upgraded to CDH 5.5 and all the outputs generated by hive query has now a warning message shown below

WARN: The method class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLogFactory#release() was invoked.
WARN: Please see http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#release for an explanation.

But when I use Beeline I don't see them. Is there a way I can get rid of the warning without switching to Beeline at least for now?

Hive version is 1.1.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

To Conclude, it is not possible to remove the warning message from the Hive query output until migrating to Beeline. I found a very simple and well known workaround to this problem which almost all of us use it in shell scripting. I used the grep tool to remove the warning message from my output. Below is how I modified my script to fix the problem.

hive -S -d ns=$hiveDB -d tab=$t -d dunsCol=$c1 -d phase="$ph1" -d error=$c2 -d ts=$eColumnArray -d reporting_window=$rDate -f $dir'select_count.hsql' | grep -v "^WARN" > $gOutPut 2> /dev/null

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru

@Alex Raj

This is another bug fixed in hive 1.3 and later.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-12179

Expert Contributor

I am adding the below jar but don't get any warnings. So the above Jira you mentioned is only for the Spark jars.

add jar hdfs:///data/95-utilities/hive-contrib-1.1.0-cdh5.5.2.jar;

Super Guru

@Alex Raj

yes, that was a general Jira related to spark therefore same applicable to other jar also which includes in hive classpath. Also I noticed you are using cdh? if your distro is CDH then sorry I have no idea about their distro jars.

Expert Contributor

To Conclude, it is not possible to remove the warning message from the Hive query output until migrating to Beeline. I found a very simple and well known workaround to this problem which almost all of us use it in shell scripting. I used the grep tool to remove the warning message from my output. Below is how I modified my script to fix the problem.

hive -S -d ns=$hiveDB -d tab=$t -d dunsCol=$c1 -d phase="$ph1" -d error=$c2 -d ts=$eColumnArray -d reporting_window=$rDate -f $dir'select_count.hsql' | grep -v "^WARN" > $gOutPut 2> /dev/null

New Contributor

You can also append HIVE_SKIP_SPARK_ASSEMBLY to the command which should remove the warnings.

export HIVE_SKIP_SPARK_ASSEMBLY=true; hive -S --database dbname -e 'show tables;'