Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What is the best way to Backup Ranger meta data periodically?

What is the best way to backup the Ranger database 0.5.0(only meta data for the purpose of disaster recovery). I see that the REST API is available. Can you please share your experience if you have implemented this in your organization? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

The best option is to just backup your Ranger database. For production, you should also consider setting up DB level replication (active/active or active/passive). This will give you HA and DR.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rising Star

The best option is to just backup your Ranger database. For production, you should also consider setting up DB level replication (active/active or active/passive). This will give you HA and DR.

@bdurai, Thank you very much for redirecting me to this idea of 'setting up Replication'. I was spending my time on creating a Java application that uses REST APIs. If 'Setting up DB Level Replication' is effective solution in this case, it saves us lot of time. If you can please share more information of how to do this, it will be a great help. Thank you very much again.

Rising Star

It would depend on which DB vendor you are using and what sort of license you have for your RDBMS. If you don't already have replication at the DB level, you might just for regular export of the DB, e.g mysqldump in MySQL would be a good short term solution for you

Master Guru
@Hazarathkumar bobba

Please refer below link to setup master slave replication if you are using mysql.

http://www.tecmint.com/how-to-setup-mysql-master-slave-replication-in-rhel-centos-fedora/

You can also write sample oozie/cron job which will take mysqldump and store to some archived location, same script should have login to purge older dumps.

Master Guru

@Hazarathkumar bobba - Please check below answers and accept one which is more relevant.

Thank you @bdurai and @Kuldeep Kulkarni for your time. These were helpful.

Hi @bdurai and @Kuldeep Kulkarni,

I have developed a Java tool which can download all the policies from Ranger and create those policies back into another Ranger Environment. Just thought of sharing with you guys.

Thanks for your time though.