Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What is the "hive" password?

Explorer

In http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/hello-world... it mentions that you could run the queries via the shell. I am using an Azure sandbox 2.3.2 and I can login using my username/password. However, when I "su hive" it will not accept any of the passwords I could think to try ("hive", "admin", "hadoop").

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Peter Lasne All Service accounts i.e. hive, hdfs, mapred etc. are kind of password-less with auto generated and auto changed hash passwords i.e. managed accounts. You can login to these users from a sudo user account or as root user by doing "su - hive" or "sudo su - hive" and so on based on root or sudo user account.

On other hand, to bring up hive shell, you don't need to login as hive as @Deepesh said. You can bring up hive shell by typing hive at terminal prompt.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You should be able to bring up hive shell as the login user (without su as hive) by typing hive at the terminal prompt.

@Peter Lasne All Service accounts i.e. hive, hdfs, mapred etc. are kind of password-less with auto generated and auto changed hash passwords i.e. managed accounts. You can login to these users from a sudo user account or as root user by doing "su - hive" or "sudo su - hive" and so on based on root or sudo user account.

On other hand, to bring up hive shell, you don't need to login as hive as @Deepesh said. You can bring up hive shell by typing hive at terminal prompt.

Explorer

Thanks. "sudo su - hive" worked. However, I cannot just use my account because it throws a permissions error. If you happened to see my other threads I am getting some permissions errors there too, but all I did was install the sandbox, shouldn't that already be configured with the appropriate permissions?

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.3.2.0-2950/0/hive-log4j.properties

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=plasne, access=WRITE, inode="/user/plasne":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

Explorer

In case this helps with the tutorial, I believe the permission error went away after I created a /user directory for my account in HDFS. I was using the Azure sandbox 2.3.2 so my username was something I keyed in when creating the VM.

New Contributor

@Vetrivel S

I think your path "/user/plasne" in HDFS dont have write permission.

Kindly try to give write permission for respective path, suppose you are in Ubuntu

"hadoop fs -chmod g+w /user/plasne" without quotes in terminal

then start your hive