Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What is the scope of cloud technology in 2021?

New Contributor

I wanted to know about this everchanging technology and its core advantages which can benefit a business

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hello @william266455 

Thanks for using Cloudera Community. Your Post covers an extremely wide domain yet I would like to share my perspective from working with Customers on CDP Public Cloud:

• From the 3 Cloud Vendors, AWS was the Pioneer to start with & as such, I wish to point to the Link [1], which offers the 6 Major Advantages of Cloud Computing from an AWS WhitePaper. 
  • Listing them here, We have "Trading Capital Expenses With Operational Expenses", "Scale", "Stop Guessing Capacity", "Agility", "Go Global", "Avoid Running & Maintaining Data Centre". The PDF does an awesome job of explaining the Benefits & I would skip reiterating the same. 

As you posted the Question in Cloudera Community, I would like to take a few minutes sharing the Current On-Premise Model Short-Coming from Hadoop Ecosystem perspective (Note that On-Premise has it's Advantages & Stating On-Premise is Defunct would be an Over-Statement):

• Associated "Big Data" with "Hadoop" isn't new (Although the Focus should be moving from Data Size/Type to Analytics & Value from Data). Hadoop Ecosystem offers a wide variety of Services & they fit Use-Cases with different needs. As the Services increase, So does the Data being processed & reviewed. As such, any Capacity Planning to hard to begin with. 
  • Be it Scaling Up or Scaling Out, Managing Linux or Windows Server isn't Easy. A Simple Task of adding Resources to an Instance isn't performed without Operational Experience & adding New Instances requires getting in touch with Multiple Parties (Admin, Billing, Vendor, Transport, Sponsor etc)
  • Other context like Agility, Monitoring, Scaling, Routing are Self Explanatory.  

Now, How does Cloudera helps via Cloudera Data Platform (CDP) is as follows:

• By ensuring Users only bother about their Use-Case (Running a Spark Job, Hive-Impala SQL, NoSQL HBase Analytics etc.) like the Users have been doing on their On-Premise, yet with the Flexibility of Cloud.
  • The Best Part is a Customer can have 1 Setup on AWS, another Setup on Azure or GCP as well, yet the UI to perform your Hive/Spark/Kafka/HBase Jobs remains Similar. 
  • When no Jobs are running, the Scale-Down happens implicitly & when Jobs are running, the Scale-Up happens without any User's intervention. This ensure User focus on their Job only & Cost is Saved as well. 
  • Avoid Noisy Neighbours by ensuring the Jobs runs via Containers with their own resources & avoid any poor Job take away Host level resources, thereby affecting other Jobs. 

As you tag "Cloudera Data Engineering", I wish to share a bit of details on the same. CDE allows you to run Spark Job (Just like you run on On-Premise) yet with the Flexibility of running them on Containers as well. And the Best Part is, End-User don't have to know anything about the Kubernetes Cluster running their Spark Job. 

In short, Cloud offers Flexibility, Agility which is hard to achieve with On-Premise Setup. Yet, with Power comes Responsibility & here, AWS have a Shared-Responsibility Model as shared via [2]. Finally, I wish to share Cloudera Public Cloud Offering via [3] & some Awesome Free Training Videos on CDP via [4]. 

The above Opinion is Completely mine from my Experiences & I have barely scratched the Surface of the benefits from Cloud. I am happy to answer any specific query you may have from the above details. Also, Note that each of the AWS Link or PDF are Public Materials. 

- Smarak

[1] https://docs.aws.amazon.com/whitepapers/latest/aws-overview/aws-overview.pdf#six-advantages-of-cloud...

[2] https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/shared-responsibility-model/?ref=wellarchitected

[3] https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp/latest/index.html

[4] https://www.cloudera.com/about/training.html#?fq=training%3Acomplimentary%2Ffree

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Collaborator

Hello @william266455 

Thanks for using Cloudera Community. Your Post covers an extremely wide domain yet I would like to share my perspective from working with Customers on CDP Public Cloud:

• From the 3 Cloud Vendors, AWS was the Pioneer to start with & as such, I wish to point to the Link [1], which offers the 6 Major Advantages of Cloud Computing from an AWS WhitePaper. 
  • Listing them here, We have "Trading Capital Expenses With Operational Expenses", "Scale", "Stop Guessing Capacity", "Agility", "Go Global", "Avoid Running & Maintaining Data Centre". The PDF does an awesome job of explaining the Benefits & I would skip reiterating the same. 

As you posted the Question in Cloudera Community, I would like to take a few minutes sharing the Current On-Premise Model Short-Coming from Hadoop Ecosystem perspective (Note that On-Premise has it's Advantages & Stating On-Premise is Defunct would be an Over-Statement):

• Associated "Big Data" with "Hadoop" isn't new (Although the Focus should be moving from Data Size/Type to Analytics & Value from Data). Hadoop Ecosystem offers a wide variety of Services & they fit Use-Cases with different needs. As the Services increase, So does the Data being processed & reviewed. As such, any Capacity Planning to hard to begin with. 
  • Be it Scaling Up or Scaling Out, Managing Linux or Windows Server isn't Easy. A Simple Task of adding Resources to an Instance isn't performed without Operational Experience & adding New Instances requires getting in touch with Multiple Parties (Admin, Billing, Vendor, Transport, Sponsor etc)
  • Other context like Agility, Monitoring, Scaling, Routing are Self Explanatory.  

Now, How does Cloudera helps via Cloudera Data Platform (CDP) is as follows:

• By ensuring Users only bother about their Use-Case (Running a Spark Job, Hive-Impala SQL, NoSQL HBase Analytics etc.) like the Users have been doing on their On-Premise, yet with the Flexibility of Cloud.
  • The Best Part is a Customer can have 1 Setup on AWS, another Setup on Azure or GCP as well, yet the UI to perform your Hive/Spark/Kafka/HBase Jobs remains Similar. 
  • When no Jobs are running, the Scale-Down happens implicitly & when Jobs are running, the Scale-Up happens without any User's intervention. This ensure User focus on their Job only & Cost is Saved as well. 
  • Avoid Noisy Neighbours by ensuring the Jobs runs via Containers with their own resources & avoid any poor Job take away Host level resources, thereby affecting other Jobs. 

As you tag "Cloudera Data Engineering", I wish to share a bit of details on the same. CDE allows you to run Spark Job (Just like you run on On-Premise) yet with the Flexibility of running them on Containers as well. And the Best Part is, End-User don't have to know anything about the Kubernetes Cluster running their Spark Job. 

In short, Cloud offers Flexibility, Agility which is hard to achieve with On-Premise Setup. Yet, with Power comes Responsibility & here, AWS have a Shared-Responsibility Model as shared via [2]. Finally, I wish to share Cloudera Public Cloud Offering via [3] & some Awesome Free Training Videos on CDP via [4]. 

The above Opinion is Completely mine from my Experiences & I have barely scratched the Surface of the benefits from Cloud. I am happy to answer any specific query you may have from the above details. Also, Note that each of the AWS Link or PDF are Public Materials. 

- Smarak

[1] https://docs.aws.amazon.com/whitepapers/latest/aws-overview/aws-overview.pdf#six-advantages-of-cloud...

[2] https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/shared-responsibility-model/?ref=wellarchitected

[3] https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp/latest/index.html

[4] https://www.cloudera.com/about/training.html#?fq=training%3Acomplimentary%2Ffree

Super Collaborator

Hello @william266455 

Hope you are doing well. We wish to follow-up concerning the Post & whether you may have further queries. If there are no further ask, Kindly mark the Post as Solved. 

- Smarak

Super Collaborator

Hello @william266455 

As we haven't heard from your side, We are marking the Post as Solved as the Question wasn't associated with any Issue, rather a Generic discussion on Cloud Technology in 2021. We would like to hear from your side concerning the Cloud Technology Usage & CDP Public Cloud in your daily work & if there is any queries concerning CDP Public Cloud, which you would like us to confirm or answer. 

Thank You for using Cloudera Community. 

- Smarak