Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Which tool to schedule Hive queries?

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I would like to create/update Hive tables let's say once per hour.

Which tool should i use to schedule the execution of my hql script?

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Hi @Lubin Lemarchand, for simple, single script, independent jobs you can also use cron. For jobs consisting of 2 or more scripts you can use Oozie which is the scheduling tool of choice in Hadoop ecosystem. Initially, Oozie didn't support Hive but now it does together with Pig, MR, Sqoop, Spark and other, so-called "actions" or steps. Long term, it's definitely worth learning more about Oozie: quick start.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Explorer

why can't you use oozie time based workflow.

Expert Contributor

Well, most of the tutorials i found on Oozie were written 2 or 3 years ago so i was wondering if it was still the recommended tech for this kind of things.

Guru

You can also use falocn with hive action.

Master Guru

Hi @Lubin Lemarchand, for simple, single script, independent jobs you can also use cron. For jobs consisting of 2 or more scripts you can use Oozie which is the scheduling tool of choice in Hadoop ecosystem. Initially, Oozie didn't support Hive but now it does together with Pig, MR, Sqoop, Spark and other, so-called "actions" or steps. Long term, it's definitely worth learning more about Oozie: quick start.

Master Mentor

you also invested time in learning nifi, nifi has a cron based scheduler, would be interesting to see it leveraged for this use case. Look under scheduling tab https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/user-guide.html#Configuring_a_Processor

Expert Contributor

Yes i use it to request the API i'm interested in once a week (except for the twitter streaming api of course).