Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Why am I seeing this odd behaviour? YARN / App Timeline Web UI: Connection Failed

Expert Contributor

Hi All,

Recently I setup email notifications in Ambari (2.2.1.0) to receive notifications when alert states change. I've found that throughout each day the YARN alert App Timeline Web UI: Connection Failed switches from CRITICAL (connection timed out on port 8188) to OK. This happens 12 / 14 times a day. I'm unsure why this is? I have a basic 2 node cluster, the App Timeline and History Server components are on node 1, and the Resource Manager is on node 1 if that helps.

Any thoughts on why this might happen - it doesn't seem to effect performance.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

Hi @mike harding

This seems to be known behaviour in Ambari 2.2.1.0. There is also internal bug raised in hortonworks jira for the same - BUG-47724.

This jira is resolved and the resolution seems to be fixed in Ambari 2.2.2.0

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

Hi @mike harding

This seems to be known behaviour in Ambari 2.2.1.0. There is also internal bug raised in hortonworks jira for the same - BUG-47724.

This jira is resolved and the resolution seems to be fixed in Ambari 2.2.2.0

Super Guru

Meanwhile can you check if you are able to get JMX value of the alert. Also try to get the alert defination using api -

Make a GET request to get the alert definition for the alert you want to change

• GET api/v1/clusters/<cluster>/alert_definitions
  • GET api/v1/clusters/<cluster>/alert_definitions/<id> from above call

Super Guru
@mike harding

You can try 2 options -

1. You can also try modifying the "Check Interval" for this service by logging to - Ambari UI->Alerts-"App Timeline Web UI"->Edit -> modify "Check Interval" to higher value.

4229-screen-shot-2016-05-16-at-55413-pm.png

2.You can try modifying "connection_timeout" value for the timeline webui. Please follow steps below

a.Check alert defination using below command -

http://<ambari_fqdn>:8080/api/v1/clusters/<cluster-name>/alert_definitions/

b.Get the respective alert definition you want to modify from above command- here for example we will modify "App Timeline webui" alert value for "connection_timeout" changing value from 5.0 to 50.0

c. Copy the json into file name test.json

d. Modify the json value for "connection_timeout" : 5.0" to "connection_timeout" : 50.0" and save the file.

e. PUT it using below command -

curl -H 'X-Requested-By:ambari' -u $ambari_username:$ambari_password -X PUT --data @test.json http://<ambari_fqdn>:8080/api/v1/clusters/<cluster-name>/alert_definitions/<alert_no>/

Super Collaborator

If you have Kerberos enabled, you might be hitting: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-14847

You can upgrade to Ambari 2.2.2 and that should resolve the issue.