Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Workaround for log aggregation bug

Super Collaborator

We have log aggregation enabled in the Yarn configuration for our cluster (yarn.log-aggregation-enable).

But it doesn't seem to work.

When I try to drill into the history of a job in the resource manager GUI, the link for "logs" always takes me to a page that says: "aggregation is not enabled".

I've opened a ticket asking for help on this, and they told us we need to upgrade, so we did, but it didn't help.

I opened another ticket and am currently waiting for a response.

In the meantime, has anyone seen this?

Is there is a known hack to fix it?

Any advice about where to look for the solution?

We're currently on 2.2.8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Zack Riesland , thanks for looking at this with me over webex. It turns out it was the ownership of the mr-history directory that was causing aggregation to not work on the web side, this needed to be owned by mapred and hdfs. The initial failure to start was due to that incorrect class which we fixed.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Master Mentor

Super Collaborator

Yes. It basically just says to set two config properties, which I did.

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

Super Collaborator

Thanks Artem,

Yes, this all seems to be setup correctly. I believe we had to tackle this a while back to get the Tez View working.

Master Mentor

And you migrated to 1.5 of TS? @Zack Riesland

Super Collaborator

I'm not explicitly specifying yarn.timeline-service.version, so I guess I'm running whatever the 2.2.8 default is.

Do you think I'll have better luck if I upgrade?

Master Mentor

I would either wait for support or try in dev cluster. @Zack Riesland

Master Mentor
@Zack Riesland

Please see this thread https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/4719/yarn-logs-seems-to-be-truncated.html

I am afraid that you may not find something really useful. Please followup with the support suggestion.