Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

YARN Exception from Container Launch

SOLVED Go to solution

YARN Exception from Container Launch

New Contributor

I am experiencing the following issue.

http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/unable-to-run-distributed-shell-on-yarn/

2013-09-17 11:45:28,338 INFO [main] distributedshell.Client (Client.java:monitorApplication(600)) - Got application report from ASM for, appId=11, clientToAMToken=null, appDiagnostics=Application application_1379338026167_0011 failed 2 times due to AM Container for appattempt_1379338026167_0011_000002 exited with exitCode: 1 due to: Exception from container-launch:

The code which I am running which produces this error involves using Java map reduce to bulk load to HBase. 

I have tried the recommend addition of environment variables to my local user, but am still facing issues. 

Anyone else experience this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: YARN Exception from Container Launch

New Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for your support. The issue ended up being an environment issue. I needed to pass to my application the location of the Hbase configuration, via the following snippet:

Configuration conf = new Configuration();
conf.addResource(new Path("/etc/hbase/conf/hbase-site.xml"));

This allowed the program to determine the correct settings for connecting to HBase.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Cloudera Employee

Hi sjarvie,

The next step with an error like this is to look at the logs for the container that's failing.  If you're running a MapReduce job (i.e. not distributed shell), you should be able to find these in the JobHistoryServer.  It will display a list of jobs and you can go into a job and navigate to the application master logs.  If you experience errors when trying to access these logs, make sure that yarn.log-aggregation-enable is set to true.

-Sandy

New Contributor

Hi Sandy,

I enabled yarn log aggregation and was able to access the log entry for the failed job. The first error I noticed in the log is the follow:

2013-12-06 15:04:00,007 INFO [RMCommunicator Allocator] org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.app.rm.RMContainerAllocator: Received completed container container_1385402645979_0033_01_000080
2013-12-06 15:04:00,007 ERROR [RMCommunicator Allocator] org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.app.rm.RMContainerAllocator: Container complete event for unknown container id container_1385402645979_0033_01_000080
2013-12-06 15:04:00,007 INFO [RMCommunicator Allocator] org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.app.rm.RMContainerAllocator: Recalculating schedule, headroom=0

Could this be a issue related to host configurations? 

The other clue I may have found is in the exit code:

2013-12-06 15:04:01,015 INFO [AsyncDispatcher event handler] org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.app.job.impl.TaskAttemptImpl: Diagnostics report from attempt_1385402645979_0033_m_000035_0: Container killed by the ApplicationMaster.
Container killed on request. Exit code is 143

The following link attributes this exit code to a memory allocation issue: https://github.com/ThinkinGim/atopos/issues/28 

I am going over the resource allocation configuration of my cluster now.

Thanks

New Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for your support. The issue ended up being an environment issue. I needed to pass to my application the location of the Hbase configuration, via the following snippet:

Configuration conf = new Configuration();
conf.addResource(new Path("/etc/hbase/conf/hbase-site.xml"));

This allowed the program to determine the correct settings for connecting to HBase.

Thanks!