Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Yarn Container is running beyond physical memory limits. but cannot find that value on any config

Hi

I am gettin the tipical error

Container [pid=18542,containerID=container_e75_1537176390063_0001_01_000001] is running beyond physical memory limits. Current usage: 12.6 GB of 12 GB physical memory used; 19.0 GB of 25.2 GB virtual memory used. 

But I do not have 12GB configured anywere on Ambari, nor yarn nor mapreduce2 ¿where is that value?

Thanks

Roberto

5 REPLIES 5

Super Collaborator

Could you please check in RM which user and application launching this job.

Master Mentor

@Roberto Ayuso

The following Article explains in detail about the issue sand it's remedy:

is running beyond physical memory limits .....

https://dzone.com/articles/configuring-memory-for-mapreduce-running-on-yarn

I am running that as admin user using spark-submit

export PYTHONIOENCODING=utf8; time spark-submit -v --master yarn --deploy-mode cluster --driver-memory 8G --conf spark.network.timeout=10000000 --conf spark.executor.heartbeatInterval=1000000 --conf spark.dynamicAllocation.enabled=true --conf spark.shuffle.service.enabled=true --conf spark.default.parallelism=2200 --conf spark.sql.shuffle.partitions=2200 --conf spark.driver.maxResultSize="4G" test.py

When reduced yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb from 4G to 1G the error changed from 12Gb to

is running beyond physical memory limits. Current usage: 10.3 GB of 9 GB physical memory used

So... How are that limits calculated?

Expert Contributor
@Roberto Ayuso

In spark, spark.driver.memoryOverhead is considered in calculating the total memory required for the driver. By default it is 0.10 of the driver-memory or minimum 384MB. In your case it will be 8GB * 0.1 = 9011MB ~= 9G

YARN allocates memory only in increments/multiples of yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb .

When yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb=4G, it can only allocate container sizes of 4G,8G,12G etc. So if something like 9G is requested it will round up to the next multiple and will allocate 12G of container size for the driver.

When yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb=1G, then container sizes of 8G, 9G, 10G are possible. The nearest rounded up size of 9G will be used in this case.

Thanks Tarum, I will use the calc to configure it