Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Zeppelin HDP 2.4 SparkSql aggregate functions failing

Master Guru

HDP 2.4 SparkSql on zeppelin aggregate functions are not working. I do a select * from table and it works. However when I do select count(*) from table or any another aggregate function (sum, etc) it fails. I am using Zeppelin version zeppelin-server-0.6.0.2.4.0.0-169.jar

2771-2016-03-13-23-50-21.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We had similar issues with the hive interpreter while trying to run aggregations and gouping by columns:

1. Hive interpreter cannot be declared directly in notebook by using %hive. Interpreter must already be set to hive

2. First line in editor must be blank and Hive QL statements must start on second line, otherwise a NullPointer exception will be thrown after you submit job. This threw us off. Somehow we started the statement on the second line and it executed without errors. Then, when we went back and put the statement on the first line, it failed again. Moved the statement to the second line, with the first line blank, and it executed without any errors. Strange.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

@Sunile Manjee Are you able to run select count from beeline?

Master Guru

Master Guru

This seems to be a bug. I am opening a Jira.

Master Guru
@Neeraj Sabharwal

I found the issue. I restarted the interpertur and rebinded the variables. works fine now.

We had similar issues with the hive interpreter while trying to run aggregations and gouping by columns:

1. Hive interpreter cannot be declared directly in notebook by using %hive. Interpreter must already be set to hive

2. First line in editor must be blank and Hive QL statements must start on second line, otherwise a NullPointer exception will be thrown after you submit job. This threw us off. Somehow we started the statement on the second line and it executed without errors. Then, when we went back and put the statement on the first line, it failed again. Moved the statement to the second line, with the first line blank, and it executed without any errors. Strange.