Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

add workload user as host user

Explorer

hi,

is it possible to  add workload user as host user ? 

(just need it for rstudio server)

thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Master Collaborator

Hello @grlzz,

You can refer to the below doc[1] to understand the CDP user accounts. Please have a look into it and let us know if you have further queries.

doc[1]: Understanding CDP user accounts

Thanks.

Master Collaborator

Hello @grlzz 

the worload user have the access to the instances in the environment. 

refer to https://docs.cloudera.com/management-console/cloud/user-management/topics/mc-create-machine-user.htm...

the documentation will help you to create a machine user. 

If you found this response assisted with your query, please take a moment to login and click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.

Explorer

Hi @shehbazk  @Azhar_Shaikh ,

thanks , but maybe I was not clear

Rstudio needs a user on the host, in other words , the ones on

/etc/passwd

which right now,  it contains  neither workload nor  machine users (we have already a machine user)

the question whether is possible to add one of an existing user to the host (as in /etc/passwd) 

thanks 

Explorer

when I try 

sudo passw [any_exisiting_user]

I get this error:

Password reset by root is not supported.

and the workload passw is not accepted by Rstudio, I guess because it looks up for passw in /etc/passwd 

any idea ?

thanks

Explorer

Master Collaborator

Hello @grlzz 

Thanks for sharing your findings with us. I understand Rstudio needs a user on the host (and it should be present under /etc/passwd (where all the local users belongs to))

You can create and add local user on the host as workaround, but If the node where you added the user is repaired or restarted it will loose the user from /etc/passwd that you have recently added and you will need to add it again. Cloudbreak will use the predefined images and steps and as the user will be through manual creation It will not consider the added user Incase of node reboot/repair.

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Thanks,

Azhar

Explorer
Hi Azhar,

thanks -- yeah, I had already used that workaround, but as I have issues with packages installation on that 'host' user's home, I still wanted to know if is possible to add the workload user on the host (namely, on etc/passwd)

Thanks,
Gianrocco

ps: start/stop does not delete the user on /etc/passwd  (terminate/repair the host yes, it will)

Master Collaborator

Hello @grlzz 

It would be great if you can open a support case for this, we will need to investigate on this and see the options available to implement this. 

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer

ok thanks -- I have created one with the same title