Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

ambari upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 giving error when doing $ ambari-server start

Solved Go to solution

ambari upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 giving error when doing $ ambari-server start

New Contributor

I was trying to update ambari 2.2.0 to 2.2.1.

I ran following commands on my machine:

$ cd /etc/yum.repos.d/

$ wget http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/centos7/2.x/updates/2.2.1.0/ambari.repo

# Install

$ yum install ambari-server

$ ambari-server start

First, time it was not giving any error when trying to start amari sever but was not able to login using "admin" "admin" username and password. Then i tried to stop and re-started Ambari and now i am getting below error.

[root@ttsv-lab-vmdb-01 jdk64]# [root@ttsv-lab-vmdb-01 jdk64]# tail -f var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out^C [root@ttsv-lab-vmdb-01 jdk64]# ambari-server start Using python /usr/bin/python2 Starting ambari-server Ambari Server running with administrator privileges. Organizing resource files at /var/lib/ambari-server/resources... Server PID at: /var/run/ambari-server/ambari-server.pid Server out at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out Server log at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log Waiting for server start.................... ERROR: Exiting with exit code -1. REASON: Ambari Server java process died with exitcode 255. Check /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out for more information.

I checked the file /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out but it was empty.

Thanks,

~Vinti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ambari upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 giving error when doing $ ambari-server start

New Contributor

I solved that issue by doing

$ ambari-server upgrade. I am able to login to web ui now.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: ambari upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 giving error when doing $ ambari-server start

New Contributor

I checked ambari-server.log, it's saying database version issue.

[root@ttsv-lab-vmdb-01 jdk64]# tail -f /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log 08 Mar 2016 11:49:57,623 INFO [main] ControllerModule:578 - Binding and registering notification dispatcher class org.apache.ambari.server.notifications.dispatchers.EmailDispatcher 08 Mar 2016 11:49:57,702 INFO [main] ControllerModule:578 - Binding and registering notification dispatcher class org.apache.ambari.server.notifications.dispatchers.SNMPDispatcher 08 Mar 2016 11:49:57,704 INFO [main] ControllerModule:578 - Binding and registering notification dispatcher class org.apache.ambari.server.notifications.dispatchers.AlertScriptDispatcher 08 Mar 2016 11:50:00,769 INFO [main] AmbariServer:807 - Getting the controller 08 Mar 2016 11:50:01,829 INFO [main] DatabaseChecker:154 - Checking DB store version 08 Mar 2016 11:50:02,531 WARN [main] DatabaseChecker:184 - Current database store version is not compatible with current server version, serverVersion=2.2.1.0, schemaVersion=2.2.0.0

08 Mar 2016 11:50:02,532 ERROR [main] AmbariServer:820 - Failed to run the Ambari Server org.apache.ambari.server.AmbariException: Current database store version is not compatible with current server version, serverVersion=2.2.1.0, schemaVersion=2.2.0.0 at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.utilities.DatabaseChecker.checkDBVersion(DatabaseChecker.java:185) at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:812) ^C

Regards,

~Vinti

New Contributor

I solved that issue by doing

$ ambari-server upgrade. I am able to login to web ui now.

New Contributor

Hi @Vinti Maheshwari My HDP is 2.4 version i also facing same issue when i am doing upgrade it is asking for backup how can i take the backup of database is this necessary to take the backup of database orelse can i go directly for upgrade??/

@sanka sandeep: It's always better to take backup or create a restore point on databases if you are upgrading. If something goes wrong during the process you can get back.

Super Collaborator

Thank you for the solution. I found this helpful while upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.4. Cheers!

Highlighted

New Contributor

I also have an issue to the ambari upgrade:

[root@centos7 /]# ambari-server upgrade Using python /usr/bin/python2.7 Upgrading ambari-server Updating properties in ambari.properties ... WARNING: Can not find ambari.properties.rpmsave file from previous version, skipping import of settings Fixing database objects owner Upgrading database schema ERROR: Error executing schema upgrade, please check the server logs. ERROR: Ambari server upgrade failed. Please look at /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log, for more details. ERROR: Exiting with exit code 11. REASON: Schema upgrade failed.