Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

assign VERY_HIGH priority to an oozie workflow

Expert Contributor

One of my workflows in oozie is very important and I would always like it to be allocated the reesources it needs before anything else.

This workflow has a sqoop job and hive queries. What do I need to do to assign VERY_HIGH priority to this workflow . A direction would be appreciated. I have tried looking it up but still pretty clueless about "how" to do it

7 REPLIES 7

Rising Star
@Simran Kaur Oozie does not handle workflow jobs priority. As soon as a workflow job is ready to do a transition, Oozie will trigger the transition. Workflow transitions and action triggering are assumed to be fast and lightweight operations.

In the capacity scheduler you could set a high priority queue providing the maximum resources of the cluster with extension( max. Capacity) to 100%. And while running the oozie workflow, you can provide the queue name in Job.properties and workflow.xml so that the job is always submitted to a high priority queue.

• In Job.Properties File
queueName=<queue-name>
  • Use the queueName in workflow.xml
	<configuration>
                <property>
                    <name>mapred.job.queue.name</name>
                    <value>${queueName}</value>
                </property>
	</configuration> 

Expert Contributor

@Shashank Chandhok: Thank you. I have done that and now my job is being submitted to a queue that is not pre-empted . But I would also like to set priority of the job. I tried setting SET mapred.job.priority in hive query itself in the editor but even then these are submitted with NORMAL priority as I see through hadoop job -list

Rising Star

@Simran Kaur I believe currently oozie does not support the functionality of tagging jobs with prioirities Check the following links for more details

Oozie Workflow Functional Spec

OOZIE-2892

Rising Star

@Simran Kaur

You can create separate yarn queue for these jobs. You can use capacity scheduler or Yarn queue manager view in Ambari .

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.0.1/bk_ambari-views/content/using_the_capacity_...

Now you can use this queue for your high priority oozie jobs

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32438052/job-queue-for-hive-action-in-oozie

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Expert Contributor

@prsinghThank you. I have done that and now my job is being submitted to a queue that is not pre-empted . But I would also like to set priority of the job. I tried setting SET mapred.job.priority in hive query itself in the editor but even then these are submitted with NORMAL priority as I see through hadoop job -list

Rising Star

@Simran Kaur

Please try with "mapreduce.job.priority" as "mapred.job.priority" is deprecated now.

Expert Contributor

I did. Nothing changed