Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

best practice to install Hue?

Expert Contributor

Where do i install Hue? One of the masters? or edge node? what if my edge node doesn't have enough place /usr/hdp and it only has 2.3GB space left? Can I install it on one of the datanodes>? I am talking about production environment here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@PJ

The following doc talks about most of the things that you are looking out for: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.3/bk_command-line-installation/content/before...

Like in order to install Hue you need a host that can have a

1. Supported OS. (listed int he above doc)

2. Should have access to Hadoop Cluster (only one hadoop cluster)

3. You need to use a supported Database (mentioned in the doc link)

4. Python 2.6.6 or higher installed.

5. You need to have core Hadoop on your system .

6. The HDP repositories should be available to that host where you are planning to install Hue. (remote repo)

7. You can deploy Hue on any host within your cluster. If your corporate firewall policies allow, you can also use a remote host machine as your Hue server. For evaluation or small cluster sizes, use the master install machine for HDP as your Hue server.

8. There is no single hardware requirement for installing HDP, there are some basic guidelines. A complete installation of HDP 2.5.3 consumes about 6.5 GB of disk space. So Hue should not take much space.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@PJ

The following doc talks about most of the things that you are looking out for: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.3/bk_command-line-installation/content/before...

Like in order to install Hue you need a host that can have a

1. Supported OS. (listed int he above doc)

2. Should have access to Hadoop Cluster (only one hadoop cluster)

3. You need to use a supported Database (mentioned in the doc link)

4. Python 2.6.6 or higher installed.

5. You need to have core Hadoop on your system .

6. The HDP repositories should be available to that host where you are planning to install Hue. (remote repo)

7. You can deploy Hue on any host within your cluster. If your corporate firewall policies allow, you can also use a remote host machine as your Hue server. For evaluation or small cluster sizes, use the master install machine for HDP as your Hue server.

8. There is no single hardware requirement for installing HDP, there are some basic guidelines. A complete installation of HDP 2.5.3 consumes about 6.5 GB of disk space. So Hue should not take much space.

Explorer

I discovered that specifically it is 2.6.6-2.6.9 you can't use 2.7.x - it failed when looking for the 2.6.x86_64.1.0 binary or some such. Hence I needed to install 2.6.9 from source and use virtualenv to handle 2.7 with 2.6.9 installed. Theres plenty of docs on how to use virtualenv to handle dual python environments.