Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

can not start zookeeper

New Contributor

Hi,

We were able to run zookeeper on our cluster, but it crushed and can not start any more. The error msg now is like this:

zookeeper cannot open channel to X at election address

and Could not find or load main class org.apache.zookeeper.server.quorum.QuorumPeerMain

I checked our zookeeper-3.4.6.jar is under kafka/libs and it is of the same version.

I also tried this but did not work:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30940981/zookee...

server.1=0.0.0.0:2888:3888
server.2=192.168.10.10:2888:3888
server.3=192.168.2.1:2888:3888

Do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

Thank you very much for your help,

7 REPLIES 7

Master Mentor

@xueqin pang Please paste last few entries from the log

New Contributor

thank you very much for your reply

we setup the log folder like this:

dataLogDir=/home/ubuntu/logs/zookeeper

But there is nothing at all. I searched online, and did not find any other place we could find the log file. If there is any, could kindly point me to it?

When we start zookeeper we got these msges:

$ ./zkServer.sh start

JMX enabled by default

Using config: /home/ubuntu/software/zookeeper-3.4.6/bin/../conf/zoo.cfg

Starting zookeeper ... STARTED

But if I check status, I got:

$ ./zkServer.sh status

JMX enabled by default

Using config: /home/ubuntu/software/zookeeper-3.4.6/bin/../conf/zoo.cfg

Error contacting service. It is probably not running.

Thanks,

I find my ZK logs end up under /var/log/zookeeper , at least with the HD installations. Make sure that the log directory has the permissions to be written to by the ZK account; if it doesn't you won't see logs

Master Mentor

@xueqin pang /etc/init.d/iptables stop

Master Guru

It's much easier to install and run Zookeeper using Ambari. If you want to install Zookeeper manually please follow the instructions given here:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-...

You can skip Kerberos part if your cluster is not kerberized. Important checkpoints:

. myid files created on all 3 hosts, with numbers 1,2,3

. In zoo.cfg use FQDNs if possible, though IP addresses should work as well. Be sure that myid on server.i contains number i, i=1,2,3. For example, myid on server.1 must contain 1. Don't use 0.0.0.0, that will require specific zoo.cfg on each server, no need to do that (and not sure it would work at all).

. Create zookeper-env.sh as given in the manual, and check all entries to match settings in your environment. Zookeeper log is given as ZOO_LOG_DIR.

. Distribute zoo.cfg and zookeeper-env.sh on all 3 hosts into the conf dir, usually /etc/zookeeper/conf

. Make sure ports 2888, 3888, 2181 are open on all 3 hosts, or if possible disable iptables

. Check permissions (section 3.4)

. start Zookeeper as zookeeper user providing ZOOCFGDIR, ZOOCFG etc. on the command line on all 3 hosts. Check the manual (section 3.6) for details.

That should be enough. I installed several Zookeepers manually (for Kafka) and had no issues.

New Contributor

Have you found any sollution for this issue? I'm also facing it, I've tried to install zookeeper in a total new server, but I'm getting the same problem.

Master Mentor

@xueqin pang are you still having issues? Please accept the best answer or provide your own solution.