Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

cloudera manager upgrade failure

Contributor

We are having cloudera manager express 6.3.0, we tried upgrading to CM 7.3.1 but it got failed with error:

2021-04-30 08:45:44,796 ERROR main:com.cloudera.server.cmf.Main: Server failed.
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.cloudera.server.cmf.TrialState': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'entityManagerFactoryBean' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'entityManagerFactoryBean': FactoryBean threw exception on object creation; nested exception is java.lang.RuntimeException: Upgrade not allowed in Express or Trial mode

We then downgraded it again with following this guide, but still we are getting the same error while starting cloudera manager server. Please advise.

https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/upgrade/topics/ug_cm_downgrade.html

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @swapko 

The key question you should answer before proceeding is: Do you have a valid Cloudera subscription?

The reason I ask that is because I think this is the key part of the error message you are encountering:

nested exception is java.lang.RuntimeException: Upgrade not allowed in Express or Trial mode

Cloudera Express was discontinued over a year ago now, please see the announcement here: Cloudera Enterprise 6.3.3 Released

…scroll down to the subsection Important Note About Cloudera Express.

The part that is most relevant, I think, to your specific error message is this one:

Upgrades to Cloudera Manager 6.3.3 or CDH 6.3.3 and higher are not supported while running Cloudera Express. A valid Cloudera Enterprise or CDP license must be in place before upgrading to Cloudera Manager 6.3.3 or 7.x, or the upgrade will not be completed. This also applies to trial installations of Cloudera Enterprise and CDP Data Center.

So, when you say that you "tried upgrading to CM 7.3.1", I think the constraints on upgrading to a version of Cloudera Manager more recent than 6.3.3 are probably ensuring that your efforts are bound to fail if you attempt to do that upgrade while running a previous version of Cloudera Express. If you do not have a valid subscription, obtaining one should be the first thing you ensure you have, so you can begin the process running a licensed version of Cloudera Enterprise and therefore eliminate that uncertainty.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Contributor

No, we donot have a valid Cloudera subscription/license as of now because our organization is doing a POC. I got your point that we cannot upgrade from Cloudera manager 6.3.0 express version but after a failed upgradation, even if I have downgraded to 6.3.0 it is still showing the same error. If I check in the Cloudera_manager db, in config table CM_VERSION, it shows the version as 6.3.0. Is there any thing I can do to resolve the error.