Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

combine small parquet files

Explorer

hi all,

i have a problem. I have one table in Impala, partition by year, month, day, name of the load file.  Example

/user/hive/warehouse/table/year=2015/month=01/day=01/nameloadfile1/file.parq

/user/hive/warehouse/table/year=2015/month=01/day=01/nameloadfile1/file2.parq

/user/hive/warehouse/table/year=2015/month=01/day=01/nameloadfile1/file3.parq

the size of the file is very smaller (low MB). I would want combine all files in one.

/user/hive/warehouse/table/year=2015/month=01/day=01/nameloadfile1/combineFiles.parq

Someone have any idea for that.

Best regards

15 REPLIES 15

It's best to do this within Impala. One option is just to create a new table then insert the data from the old one. E.g.

create table table2 like table1;

insert into table2 select * from table1;

If you only want to combine the files from a single partition, you can copy the data to a different table, drop the old partition, then insert into the new partition to produce a single compacted partition. E.g.

insert into table2 select * from table1 where partition_key=1;

alter table table1 drop partition (partition_key=1);

insert into table1 partition(partition_key=1) select * from table2;

drop table table2;

Explorer

Hi Tim,

I have the similar issue, within one single partition, there are multiple small files. I already followed the similar solution you suggested, however the number of files did not reduced, infact increased. Here is the link to my question with profile and other details. The blocksize I kept was 256 MB. 

http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Interactive-Short-cycle-SQL/Insert-query-with-NUM-NODES-1-generatin...

Please advise,

Thanks

Amit

Explorer

Similar problem, unsolved !

Create an unpartitioned table stored as parquet, then insert overwrite the table with select from an old partitioned table.

The new unpartitioned table contained 5 .parq files ( size in 70~80kb).

Why?

If the query runs with multiple fragments e.g. on 5 nodes you can get one file per fragment. If you look at the query plan (i.e. explain <the query text>) it will show the degree of parallelism for the insert.

New Contributor

how would you suggest doing the red parts with zero downtime? (= table1 partition_key=1 is always available)

insert into table2 select * from table1 where partition_key=1;

alter table table1 drop partition (partition_key=1);

insert into table1 partition(partition_key=1) select * from table2;

drop table table2;

You can do this:

insert overwrite table1 partition(partition_key=1) select * from table1 where partition_key=1;

This process should mostly work as you'd expect.

However, there are few situations where this may cause problems:

- If you run concurrent "refresh" or "invalidate metadata" commands against that table/partition until the insert is complete, some queries may see missing or dupicate data from that partition (fix via refresh after the insert).

- Do not run concurrent "insert overwrite" against the same partition. You may end up with missing/dupicate data in that partition.

If you can guarantee that the above two situations are not a problem for you, then insert overwrite should work just fine.

Explorer
You're right about 5 impalad nodes. With 10 nodes, insert operations make 10 parquet files and file sizes reduce to 50% ?
Any method to merge files into one?

If you set num_nodes=1 that will force it to run on a single node.

Explorer
set num_nodes=1
It works! Thanks, Tim.