Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

connection refused - AWS (HDPCD practice exam) : getting this error eventhouth i restarted ambari-agent

Rising Star

Hi there,

I'm trying to work with AWS for HDPCD practice exam. I ran " hdfs dfs -ls / " cmd on the terminal and getting " connection refused error". I could see all the services are not running and displays with red colour rectangle icon. I ran the below command

ssh root@namenode

password: hadoop

service ambari-agent restart

exit

~/start-all-services.sh

but, no services are running except Zookeeper and Ganglia services. Please let me know to solve this issue. Thanks! @rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

If you startup one of our practice exams and the cluster services are not running, here are some things to try first:

1. Run the start_all_services.sh script. You can watch the progress of this script in Ambari - it uses the Ambari REST API to start all HDP services.

2. Login to Ambari and try to start services that way

3. Restart the ambari-agent process on each node in the cluster (password for root is hadoop), then run start_all_services.sh again:

ssh root@namenode "ambari-agent restart"
ssh root@resourcemanager "ambari-agent restart"   # This only applies the HDPCA exam
ssh root@hiveserver "ambari-agent restart"	# This only applies to the HDPCA exam

If none of the steps above fix the issue, then it is likely an issue with the Docker containers not starting properly. Since you do not have root access on your practice exam, the quickest solution is to simply terminate your EC2 instance and startup another one.

-Rich

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Guru

Like I said in the answer above, if restarting services fails then the quickest and easiest fix is to terminate the EC2 instance and start a new one. Have you done that yet? I can't login to your instance - I do not know the IP address.

Rising Star

Hi thanks for your reply. I terminated the old one and this is the new one and still the same problem.

Public DNS: ec2-54-86-20-155.compute-1.amazonaws.com

Public IP 54.86.20.155 Could you please login and see what the issue is ? Thanks..

Rising Star

Hi rich, I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks for your support. I'd like to know what the issue is for future reference.. Once again Thanks..

Guru

The correct answer is up above - about turning off safemode on the namenode

Master Mentor

@rich Is it possible to write an article on this topic ? @Mark Herring

Guru

I explained the fix above and the steps involved, but my answer got out of order in this discussion. It's the answer about shutting off safemode on the NN.

Guru

Hi @Jeeva Jeeva : it looks like your NameNode was in safemode. Leaving safemode allowed your cluster to startup properly. Here is what I did - then ran start_all_services.sh and everything started up fine:

$ ssh root@namenode   (password is "hadoop")
# su - hdfs
$ hdfs dfsadmin -safemode leave

New Contributor

ec2-54-186-154-189.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com.. am also facing this issue.. please help me

Guru

1. Restart ambari-agent

2. Run the start_all_services.sh script

3. Wait 5 minutes and see if the cluster is up and running

If those steps fail, then terminate your EC2 instance and build a new one. That will be quicker than trying to debug the issue.

New Contributor

I am also facing the same issue, cam you please help. I tried all the options in the blog. Twice I rebuild the cluster as well. I am not able to start & work.