Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

could not start hive client on ther node

Expert Contributor

I install a hdp cluster with ambari 2.4.2 and hdp 2.5.3

After I install.I found that I can access hive using hive command on one node, but could not it goes wrong:

$ hive

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.5.3.0-37/0/hive-log4j.properties
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:543)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:681)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:625)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:233)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:148)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1551)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:89)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:135)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:107)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:3252)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:3271)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:524)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1549)
        ... 14 more
Caused by: MetaException(message:Could not connect to meta store using any of the URIs provided. Most recent failure: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:226)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.open(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:446)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:244)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1549)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:89)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:135)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:107)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:3252)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:3271)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:524)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:681)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:625)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:233)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:148)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:221)
        ... 22 more
)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.open(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:492)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:244)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
        ... 19 more

I don't know what to do...

I try to add hdfs proxy privilegs to every node of the cluster,but have no effect.

13 REPLIES 13

Master Mentor

@darkz yu

Please check the "templeton.hive.properties" values from your "Advanced webhcat-site" in ambari UI.

Then verify if you are able to connect to the host/port defined there using telnet?

Example:
templeton.hive.properties = hive.metastore.local=false,hive.metastore.uris=thrift://erie1.example.com:9083,hive.metastore.sasl.enabled=false,hive.metastore.execute.setugi=true,hive.metastore.warehouse.dir=/apps/hive/warehouse

So try checking the port is actually opened and reachable from remote host? Example:

telnet  erie1.example.com 9083

If you are not able to access the mentioned host /port from remote client then please check your firewall (iptables) rules and make the port accessible from remote host.

Expert Contributor

I am sure that telent the megastore address and port , shows me is OK

Master Guru
@darkz yu

In addition to other answers. you may want to run hive shell in DEBUG mode to understand what's going on

hive --hiveconf hive.root.logger=DEBUG,console

Hope this helps.

Expert Contributor

This is the logs 。

could-not-connect-metastore.txt

Super Collaborator
@darkz yu

Logs shows connection refused while connecting to metastore port 9083

thrift://hadoop2.test.yunwei.puppet.dh:9083
17/04/07 13:46:47 [main]: WARN hive.metastore: Failed to connect to the MetaStore Server...
org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

Please verify if port 9083 is in LISTEN status on host hadoop2.test.yunwei.puppet.dh. Connection refused usually mean that metastore service is not running on that host(may be service is not up on the host).

Expert Contributor

@rguruvannagari

Metastore of my cluster is running on node fo hadoop1.xxx ,I can only access hive client from hadoop3.xxx,but could not access from other nodes.

I can

telnet hadoop1.txxx 9083 

but could not start hive client .I am sure the process is live and the network is ok.

Expert Contributor

Oh, I see the problem. I had move metastore from hadoop2.xxx to hadoop1.xxx,but why the configure not changed?

Super Collaborator

Please refresh the clients from ambari on the host where you are not able to do hivecli. Or copy hive-site.xml from the working host to the problem host.

Expert Contributor

yes ,I can copy or change the configure file manually,But I think the ambari should do this for me? I had change the configure in ambari and restart hive service many times