Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

execute hive query using LLAP in HDP 2.5 tech preview

I created a cluster using cloudbreak and the EDW-ANALYTICS 2.5 tech preview template. The cluster is up and running and when I look at the Hive properties I can see the Interactive query settings enabled and an llap queue.

I am not able to set the llap configuration option in beeline. Beeline says the hive.llap.execution.mode variable does not exist:

jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> set hive.llap.execution.mode=all;

Error: Error while processing statement: hive configuration hive.llap.execution.mode does not exists. (state=42000,code=1)

The example demos I see on the web use their variable and the documentation references it:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Configuration+Properties#ConfigurationProperties-LL...

How do I start a hive query using LLAP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor
@cduby

In order to use LLAP, you should connect to Hive2 HiveServer2. However, based on the jdbc url, it seems you are connecting to Hive1 HiveServer2. That's probably why you get the error, 'hive.llap.execution.mode variable does not exist'.

Hive2 HiveServer2 port is typically 10500.

You should figure out the Hive2 HiveServer2 host (whether it is localhost), get the correct jdbc url and connect to Hive2 HiveServer2 with the jdbc url.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor
@cduby

In order to use LLAP, you should connect to Hive2 HiveServer2. However, based on the jdbc url, it seems you are connecting to Hive1 HiveServer2. That's probably why you get the error, 'hive.llap.execution.mode variable does not exist'.

Hive2 HiveServer2 port is typically 10500.

You should figure out the Hive2 HiveServer2 host (whether it is localhost), get the correct jdbc url and connect to Hive2 HiveServer2 with the jdbc url.

@Takahiko Saito Where should I look in Ambari to find the Hive2 HiveServer2 port?

I found the port by going to Ambari > Hive configs tab under Advanced hive-interactive-site HiveServer2 Port and it was set to the default 10500.

I would also add that the HiveServer2 Interactive service and HiveServer2 may be deployed to different hosts.