Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

hdfs upload fails with ugly file name

Rising Star

attempts to upload a file from ambari fails by generating an invalid target file name. it creates a target filename (hdfs) by removing all of the path delimiters from the source file name, resulting in a ridiculously long file name that additionally contains "c:". I don't see any way of controlling this. running it all on windows. all I do is browse for the local file and then upload.

exception:

Pathname /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersXXXXXDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv from /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersXXXXXDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv is not a valid DFS filename.

Collapse Stack Trace

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Pathname /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersklyborDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv from /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersklyborDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv is not a valid DFS filename
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

try scp

scp -P 2222 Downloads/HortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv root@<hadoop node>:/tmp/maria_dev/data/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Super Collaborator

try scp

scp -P 2222 Downloads/HortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv root@<hadoop node>:/tmp/maria_dev/data/

Super Collaborator

if it is sandbox, the above command will look like:

scp -P 2222 Downloads/HortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv root@127.0.0.1:/tmp/maria_dev/data/

Rising Star

thanks @hduraiswamy

used filezilla to do the uploads. would be nice it this ambari feature worked because it is really convenient.

Rising Star

@hduraiswamy

I know the problem. It is an IE 11 feature that I encountered and dealt with for one of my own apps.

I can do the upload with Chrome. IE 11 passes the full local file pathname at times (depends upon user browser options) . Ambari needs to strip off the path prefix when forming the server filename.

Super Collaborator

@michael klybor - good point.. It actually makes sense to post that to the Ambari forum as a suggestion..

New Contributor

have the same issue using Edge browser