Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hdfs upload fails with ugly file name

Rising Star

attempts to upload a file from ambari fails by generating an invalid target file name. it creates a target filename (hdfs) by removing all of the path delimiters from the source file name, resulting in a ridiculously long file name that additionally contains "c:". I don't see any way of controlling this. running it all on windows. all I do is browse for the local file and then upload.

exception:

Pathname /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersXXXXXDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv from /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersXXXXXDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv is not a valid DFS filename.

Collapse Stack Trace

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Pathname /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersklyborDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv from /tmp/maria_dev/data/C:UsersklyborDownloadsHortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv is not a valid DFS filename
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

try scp

scp -P 2222 Downloads/HortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv root@<hadoop node>:/tmp/maria_dev/data/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Super Collaborator

try scp

scp -P 2222 Downloads/HortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv root@<hadoop node>:/tmp/maria_dev/data/

Super Collaborator

if it is sandbox, the above command will look like:

scp -P 2222 Downloads/HortonworksGeolocationgeolocation.csv root@127.0.0.1:/tmp/maria_dev/data/

Rising Star

thanks @hduraiswamy

used filezilla to do the uploads. would be nice it this ambari feature worked because it is really convenient.

Rising Star

@hduraiswamy

I know the problem. It is an IE 11 feature that I encountered and dealt with for one of my own apps.

I can do the upload with Chrome. IE 11 passes the full local file pathname at times (depends upon user browser options) . Ambari needs to strip off the path prefix when forming the server filename.

Super Collaborator

@michael klybor - good point.. It actually makes sense to post that to the Ambari forum as a suggestion..

New Contributor

have the same issue using Edge browser