Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hiveserver2 error

Contributor

Hi experts,

Many of the devs are getting the following error when trying to connect with squirrel:

Error: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

SQLState:  08S01

ErrorCode: 0

I believe the issue may be because there are too many concurrent hive connections.

Can someone help suggest how should i configure this to allow more hive connections?

Also I find it weird that I can connect through beeline using the edge node of that cluster but Squirrel is giving an error.

Thanks,

Any help is much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

New Contributor

all connections from squirrel got the issues?

Master Mentor

Contributor

Squirrel connecting to production cluster is a bit better but i noticed there are fewer  existing connections.
I will do more research on what the others suggested in the comments.

Thanks for the response.

Cloudera Employee

Could you please monitor the number of connections at the time you are getting this exception ?

Based on the number of connections, you should tune HMS and HS2 => https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/6.3/topics/cdh_ig_hive_metastore_configure.html...

Also, how many HS2 instances are installed on your cluster as Cloudera recommends splitting HiveServer2 into multiple instances and load balancing them once you start allocating more than 16 GB to HiveServer2. The objective is to adjust the size to reduce the impact of Java garbage collection on active processing by the service.

Contributor

@LeetKrew93  We currently have 2 instances of HMS and HS2.

I believe if the jdbc string includes all the zookeepers, doesn't the zookeeper help load balance for hive?

Also I believe for our dev cluster, there are lots of connections. Is there a way to increase the max number of connections or should i create an extra hive instance?

Contributor

So i just counted our connections and it seems like we have around 40 connections going on at the same time.

So when should or how do we know how many hive instances we should have?

Contributor

Even after I increased the hiveserver2 heap memory and restarted hive, I don't see any connections but still Squirrel is having issues connecting to the dev cluster.
But our Prod cluster seems to work fine.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cloudera Employee

@ryu , could you please upload HS2 and HMS logs at the time you are hitting below exception while trying to make a connection to hive using Squirrel :

++++++

Error: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

SQLState:  08S01

ErrorCode: 0

++++++

Did you find anything suspicious from the Squirrel's log end ?

Also, let us know if it is intermittent or not ?

Regards,

Aditya

Contributor

Most of the time I get this time out, even after restarting hive.

This happens on our dev cluster. I am able to use beeline to connect to our hive in our dev cluster.

Our production cluster does not seem to have this issue.

from the squirrel logs I see this...

2021-05-28 20:38:10,136 [Thread-1] WARN net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.sql.SQLDatabaseMetaData - DatabaseMetaData.getTables(...) threw an error when called with tableNamePattern = null. Trying tableNamePattern %. The error was: java.sql.SQLException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
2021-05-28 20:38:40,145 [Thread-1] ERROR net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.session.schemainfo.SchemaInfo - failed to load table names
java.sql.SQLException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDatabaseMetaData.getTables(HiveDatabaseMetaData.java:656)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.sql.SQLDatabaseMetaData.getTables(SQLDatabaseMetaData.java:1008)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.session.schemainfo.SchemaInfo.privateLoadTables(SchemaInfo.java:1212)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.session.schemainfo.SchemaInfo.loadTables(SchemaInfo.java:412)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.session.schemainfo.SchemaInfo.privateLoadAll(SchemaInfo.java:303)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.session.schemainfo.SchemaInfo.initialLoad(SchemaInfo.java:179)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.session.Session$1.run(Session.java:261)
at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.util.TaskExecuter.run(TaskExecuter.java:82)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:129)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:86)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.readLength(TSaslTransport.java:376)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.readFrame(TSaslTransport.java:453)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.read(TSaslTransport.java:435)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslClientTransport.read(TSaslClientTransport.java:37)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:86)
at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readAll(TBinaryProtocol.java:429)
at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readI32(TBinaryProtocol.java:318)
at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readMessageBegin(TBinaryProtocol.java:219)
at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:77)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Client.recv_GetTables(TCLIService.java:321)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Client.GetTables(TCLIService.java:308)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveConnection$SynchronizedHandler.invoke(HiveConnection.java:1363)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy5.GetTables(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDatabaseMetaData.getTables(HiveDatabaseMetaData.java:654)
... 8 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:115)
at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:140)
at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:252)
at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:292)
at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:351)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:127)
... 27 more