Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

how to define/setup a edge node

Expert Contributor

Let's say I have 10 nodes to install hadoop, and 4 nodes are for edge node to install all ML or ETL thrid party tools,

Can I include all nodes in installation, only basic hadoop installation on these 4 nodes only, then install third party tools on them?

0. when start cluster installation, I can list all of 10 server for this cluster installation, right? these 4 nodes supposed to be part of hadoop cluster.

1. During the cluster installation, is any where I can assign a role 'client' to these 4 nodes?

2. if yes, please show me a link, need to see exact step to setup 'role', role as client? got to be a role for these 4 nodes.

3. if not, may I just hadoop on these nodes and simply install third party tools. I already have Ambari installed on a separated server.

thank you very much for your help.

Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Robin Dong

Response to your questions:

Can I include all nodes in installation, only basic hadoop installation on these 4 nodes only, then install third party tools on them?

Yes

0. when start cluster installation, I can list all of 10 server for this cluster installation, right? these 4 nodes supposed to be part of hadoop cluster.

Yes, you can list all of them and assign clients on 4 nodes which you would like to make them client nodes.

1. During the cluster installation, is any where I can assign a role 'client' to these 4 nodes?

Yes

2. if yes, please show me a link, need to see exact step to setup 'role', role as client? got to be a role for these 4 nodes.

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-installation/content/assign_slaves...

3. if not, may I just hadoop on these nodes and simply install third party tools. I already have Ambari installed on a separated server.

If you want to manage those 4 nodes by Ambari make them part of cluster and install only clients and install your 3rd part tools. If you don't want to manage those 4 nodes by Ambari even in future, then install only clients from command line and copy the Hadoop configuration from existing cluster to these machines.

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Robin Dong

Response to your questions:

Yes

Yes, you can list all of them and assign clients on 4 nodes which you would like to make them client nodes.

Yes

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-installation/content/assign_slaves...

If you want to manage those 4 nodes by Ambari make them part of cluster and install only clients and install your 3rd part tools. If you don't want to manage those 4 nodes by Ambari even in future, then install only clients from command line and copy the Hadoop configuration from existing cluster to these machines.

Hope this helps you.

Expert Contributor

Thank you, it answered all.

thank you so much.