Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

how to use puthiveql in NIFI

how to use puthiveql in NIFI

Hi,

I have to first read a file from local directory using Getfile and then will be loading it into HDFS. Once the file is in HDFS, then I have copy it from hive based table and insert it into another hive table. For insert/select , I came to know that I need to use puthiveql through NIFI documentation. But I could not find any option in PutHiveQL where I can write my Insert-select query. Can anybody tell me that where is option in PutHiveQL to write the Hive query?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: how to use puthiveql in NIFI

@Muhammad Umar

PutHiveQL is the correct processor to use. However, the SQL/HiveQL has to be formatted and passed to it by the previous processor.

For example, you can use the ReplaceText processor to build a HiveQL statement (e.g. INSERT INTO nifitest ...), and then pass the output to the PutHiveQL processor.

The above is the correct way to do it. However, there is also a workaround; by using the SelectHiveQL processor, you can write an insert statement as below.

16196-hiveql.jpg

Take a look at the below two links that will clarify everything with examples:

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/52328/how-to-insert-data-into-hive-using-nifi.html

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/45706/using-the-new-hiveql-processors-in-apache-nifi-070....

Highlighted

@Eyad Garelnabi,

I am using PutHiveql along with ReplaceText.

Data flow is running succesfully but my insert-select did not execute because final table is empty in which I am performing insert-select.

In replace text properties, I have left the search value as default and in Replacement Value I have written my insert-select query.

When I checked the log, I found below error:

Could not open client transport with JDBC Uri: jdbc:hive2://sandbox.hortonworks.com:2181/testdb: null

Highlighted

Super Guru

It looks like you are trying to connect via the Zookeeper port, but there are some issues with this:

1. You'll likely have trouble because of the issue described in NIFI-2575. Even if that were not the issue, the following two things would have to be done.
  2. I believe you'd have to set some variables in the URL (such as serviceDiscoveryMode=zooKeeper;zooKeeperNamespace=hiveserver2)
  3. The Zookeeper port is not exposed via the sandbox by default, you would have to forward that port if using NAT.

For these reasons, I recommend you connect via the standard HiveServer2 port (10000), which is exposed by default for the sandbox's NAT configuration.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here