Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

i have 6 nodes with hdp 2.1 cluster my jobs are running slow than previous . how can i improve my cluster performs

New Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

This is a very loaded question. Many things can change and impact performance. You can have suddenly more data that meets the criteria for that job processing, some other process is using more resources, your network band can be impacted by some other process or have some dropped packets. You can also have a setting that due to change in conditions could be insufficient, e.g. JVM heap, file descriptors, etc. You must analyze data provided by your monitoring tools and identify what seems to be the bottleneck: CPU, I/O, network, RAM etc. Check your Ganglia and Nagios monitoring and see what they report. In most recent versions of HDP, you could benefit of SmartSense which you may have based on your subscription level. This is an awesome tool designed by engineers in pain of administrating clusters and dealing with mis-configuration and performance issues. As a short-term approach, you should troubleshoot the current issues, address as much as you can, and then plan for an HDP upgrade to use SmartSense. Read more about SmartSense here: http://hortonworks.com/services/smartsense/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Guru

This is a very loaded question. Many things can change and impact performance. You can have suddenly more data that meets the criteria for that job processing, some other process is using more resources, your network band can be impacted by some other process or have some dropped packets. You can also have a setting that due to change in conditions could be insufficient, e.g. JVM heap, file descriptors, etc. You must analyze data provided by your monitoring tools and identify what seems to be the bottleneck: CPU, I/O, network, RAM etc. Check your Ganglia and Nagios monitoring and see what they report. In most recent versions of HDP, you could benefit of SmartSense which you may have based on your subscription level. This is an awesome tool designed by engineers in pain of administrating clusters and dealing with mis-configuration and performance issues. As a short-term approach, you should troubleshoot the current issues, address as much as you can, and then plan for an HDP upgrade to use SmartSense. Read more about SmartSense here: http://hortonworks.com/services/smartsense/

Super Guru

@sankar rao

In most recent

In most recent version of Ambari, SmartSense can be installed as any other service. If you don't have an Ambari capable to do so, you could upgrade Ambari and then install SmartSense, or install SmartSense manually. Instructions here: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/SS1/SmartSense-1.1.0/bk_smartsense_admin/content/ch01s02s0...

New Contributor

Thanks for valuable information...

Super Guru

Sure. Post any interesting findings that may require feed-back. Please vote the response above, if useful.

Super Guru

@sankar rao

In case that you did not do it already, enable Ambari metrics for services of interest and see what they show. Also, check the logs for services running slow. Quite often they may show errors related to JVM settings etc.