Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

import the views of a sql server database

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I have a problem with importing views of a sql server database.
To import the tables i do:

for table in $@

do

sqoop import \ --connect "jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://xxxxxxxxx:xxxxxx;databaseName=xxxxxx;user=xxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;instance=xxxxxx" \ --driver net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver \ --username xxxx \ --table $table \ --hive-import \ --hive-table xxxxxxxxx.$table -m 1

done

If I want to import the views how should I change my script please

Thank !
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@alain TSAFACK

i don't think sqoop has any different way to import views, it should work same as for tables. Can you please let us know what issue you are facing i.e any error messages? You can also use free form queries to import the view data.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Collaborator

You could use the same script to import the data from your views: Sqoop will fetch the data from your view and store it into Hive/HDFS.

If you don't want to import the data but just want to create a view on Hive, then take the definition of your view in SQLserver (DDL) and create the same view in Hive (some few adaptations might be needed, check the documentation (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-Create/Drop/Al... ).

A recommendation I would also give you, is to do the Sqoop commands in parallel. Otherwise, if you have many tables and you use "-m 1", it will take a lot of time. You can check the script I wrote for that:

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/23602/sqoop-fetching-lot-of-tables-in-parallel.html

Expert Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions

Super Guru

@alain TSAFACK

i don't think sqoop has any different way to import views, it should work same as for tables. Can you please let us know what issue you are facing i.e any error messages? You can also use free form queries to import the view data.

Thanks

Expert Contributor
Hi !!!
Thank you. But I found what to do . I just had to add in my script, --split-by "colonne_id"

New Contributor

@alain TSAFACK can u share the script how u imported view using sqoop to hdfs