Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

import the views of a sql server database

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I have a problem with importing views of a sql server database.
To import the tables i do:

for table in $@

do

sqoop import \ --connect "jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://xxxxxxxxx:xxxxxx;databaseName=xxxxxx;user=xxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;instance=xxxxxx" \ --driver net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver \ --username xxxx \ --table $table \ --hive-import \ --hive-table xxxxxxxxx.$table -m 1

done

If I want to import the views how should I change my script please

Thank !
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login
5 REPLIES 5

Super Collaborator

You could use the same script to import the data from your views: Sqoop will fetch the data from your view and store it into Hive/HDFS.

If you don't want to import the data but just want to create a view on Hive, then take the definition of your view in SQLserver (DDL) and create the same view in Hive (some few adaptations might be needed, check the documentation (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-Create/Drop/Al... ).

A recommendation I would also give you, is to do the Sqoop commands in parallel. Otherwise, if you have many tables and you use "-m 1", it will take a lot of time. You can check the script I wrote for that:

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/23602/sqoop-fetching-lot-of-tables-in-parallel.html

Expert Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions

Super Guru
hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login

Expert Contributor
Hi !!!
Thank you. But I found what to do . I just had to add in my script, --split-by "colonne_id"

New Contributor

@alain TSAFACK can u share the script how u imported view using sqoop to hdfs